Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Told her last August before making a rewarding road trip to my brother through a few towns :), that a spare MN 44 was needed. Only had one MN.
The previous gun was the SKS last March: "Yep, it's my last gun".

She dropped her head a bit as if a South American native's blowgun dart had hit her with an animal tranquilizer-her head slowly shook and she stared into a new dimension, speechless :confused:. Exactly like this.

Has this happened with any of you guys (gals)?

·
Registered
340 Posts
My only complaint is that my wife is a wee bit skeered of the Mosin's legendary recoil to try her hand at one of mine, herself.

But, she can handle her No. 4 Enfield just fine, so I will try to make a new convert, yet :D

Sorry about your wife - wish more women were better about firearm buying. Damned modern culture.

·
Registered
718 Posts
While my wife is not real excited about my collection and has repeatedly told me no more (yes, that was several ago), she is decent with it. But for the moment, my collecting is not causing any financial stress, and that would be a different story.

To pose the issue a different way, she could equate a gun collection to how we would think of "their" shoe collection. We wonder why the hell someone needs yet another pair of shoes (or sub shoes for whatever it may be) when you only need 2 or 3. The same could be said for guns. Maybe you need 1 rifle, 1 22 and 1 shotgun. Those will allow you to hunt just about anything. Its hard to argue that you need another 9130 when you already have 10 of them. Especially when that person is not interested in their history and rightfully recognizes that there is a safety issue with firearms.

Dont worry, Im on your side. But figured id play devils advocate.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm not married but I own a house and live here with my girl friend of a few years. I have 21 guns, she has most of one of our rooms for her hobbies painting and sewing, my computer is tucked in the corner of this room.

I kid you not she must have around 80 pounds or more of fabric in this room, Ive had to move the giant bags a few times!

She also likes to shoot my Nagant Pistol so I dont know if this helps?

She also mends my clothes quite often so its a "quid pro quo" so to say.

We have an understanding for each others hobbies.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My wife wasn't all about it years ago, but when I brought a gun home, I also brought home a gift for her and every Christmas I get her at the least $250 to $350 in jewelry and all is good all year long. just yesterday we went to a gun show and I showed her a Beretta 9mm I have been chasing down, it was $395, and she said "well you better get it then" :D after we left the show I took her out to lunch where ever she wanted to go (Arby's) and then took her to Barnes & Nobles and told her to get some books! all is well :)

·
Copper Bullet member
1,379 Posts
After almost 30 years, my wife is beyond complaining.
She understands that the thin cardboard boxes and heavy ORM-D packages will continue to arrive.
Of course, little trinkets, from time to time, do appear for her.
I called her last gift, your "sniper rifle".

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
You must put it in proper perspective for her in a way she can fathom.
401K lost $30,000 over the last two years.
Gun collection grew to $30,000 in the same time, with 1/3 the investment.
Throw in a diamond bling or two with the money you didn't lose on the 401K.
She has taken to contributing to new purchases...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,436 Posts
One thing you could explain is the lucrative investment of firearms. Very few things hold or exceed in value like firearms. I purchased a estate collection from a widow a few years ago. Even though I got a excellent deal. She was still surprised with her unexpected income. If I run into extra money, I like to turn it into a firearm. Otherwise I piss It away and can't remember what I did with It.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
My wife's rule, is that anything over $200 "we need to talk about". Thank goodness, cuz I can get at least two or three good MNs for that price!:)

Actually, she's not too bad and she enjoys shooting on occasion, too. She's a really good shot with my ARs and enjoys my pistols even more. I just bought an 1895 Nagant revolver and a CZ52 last week. She likes them and hopefully we can get out to shoot today. This will also hopefully divert her attention to the boatload of Mosins that I will have coming, in the next month or two. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine did the same thing and I had her hit the road...lol (JK) Try to get her involved in it. Maybe buy her a Polish WZ-48 .22 to shart her. Blend Milsurps and .22s together, then get a M1 carbine or sks next.

G

·
My spousal unit is very tolerant/accepting of my gun habits. She does not bitch when I clean guns in the living room or break them down on the kitchen table. She didn't care for the big gallon can of carb cleaner in the house and she does get a little agitated when I'm sorting brass in the living room and pans are spread out with stray casing scattered. With guns she lost count once I got past about 20-25 rifles/handguns.

Jim

·
Registered
554 Posts
Last ditch solution

NOT recommended!!
No wife/gf = All the guns you can afford.
I found out about the right side of this equation AFTER the left side had already happened. I only had 1 gun at the time of the first divorce, 4 at the second divorce, and 11 when the last gf left. Now the goal for this year is over 200+.
Works OK for me. It seems they always had the notion that ALL my extra cash should be spent solely on them.
Now I have "ladies" from 19 different countries in the house all the time and none of them get jealous when I spend time with the others. I just buy them the trinkets (parts) they want and feed them what they like to eat. I don't have to justify another acquisition to anyone but me and my wallet. This has been simplified by using a process called "layaway".
And the human females I spend time with already know how to shoot and some of them are dang good at it. Instead of "Want to see my etchings?", it's "Want to see the rest of my collection?"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts