21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
27,844 Posts
Here in Okieland it's:

Archery - 1 buck (or doe on buck tag on last day of season) or doe per sex tag

Black Powder - same

Gun - same

Doe gun season - 1 doe per tag

So there is a possiblity of 8 deer per year. But usually only about 2 or 3 is normal for a dedicated hunter. :D

· Registered
214 Posts
When the doe season starts in November we clear the estate chiller and hammer them hard. The first few days are vital to get a serious dent in the doe and yearling numbers as the season is only about 4 months long. Most of the meat goes to game dealers and I think is shipped to France. Thats obviously not happening at the moment due to foot and mouth so we are eating as much as possible!
You can shoot more than you can deal with on the first day. I took 3 in 15 minutes a couple of years ago. I didnt knowthen that I didnt have to pay a carcasse fee to the estate so I stopped. Pity really as I could have had 3 more. I used to supply 2 local butchers at the time. Nothing was wasted, I tanned the hides and boiled the bones for stock to wean my next litter of pups. The pluck was turned into pate and the bones went to my kennel.

· Gold Bullet Member
768 Posts
Here in Ohio you can get a total of seven with the right permits and zone. But only one buck with at least a minimum three inch antler.

Rad

· Registered
214 Posts
Those are very restrictive, you should come over here and help out as the doe season opens on Thursday. I have about 20 to shoot in 3 seperate woods all within 1 hour of home. I'm not sure if I will have enough time to meet the culkl target before the season ends in Feb. There are still some bucks to be taken as the seasons overlap and any Muntjac are to be shot on sight all year round.
Man its tough. ;)

· Registered
200 Posts
I'm in Maryland, the season basically runs from 15 Sep to 30 Jan....for most of the state it's 6 bucks and 30 does (2 and 10 for each weapon allowed, bow, muzzel loader, and shotgun) but in all the countys between DC and Baltimore there is no limit on does, it's as many as you can shoot....the most I've even taken in a season is 11.

· Registered
6,027 Posts
In Va it is officially 6 per year - at least three of which must be antlerless. Honestly, however, in VA it could be an unlimited total - just not more than 2 per day. Considering almost all the wildlife refuges give out DMAP tags so you don't use the ones that come with your hunting license. Add in all the DMAP and DCAP tags given out to any farmer that ask for them too. I am sure that a person could legally kill more than 20 a year. My best year was only 6.

Any body in Australia or New Zealand want to invite a poor VA hunter over? I am drooling over the list of species you can hunt. I'll buy all the beer afterwards!!!!!!! Good beer too!!!!!!

Tom

· Registered
214 Posts
In Va it is officially 6 per year - at least three of which must be antlerless. Honestly, however, in VA it could be an unlimited total - just not more than 2 per day. Considering almost all the wildlife refuges give out DMAP tags so you don't use the ones that come with your hunting license. Add in all the DMAP and DCAP tags given out to any farmer that ask for them too. I am sure that a person could legally kill more than 20 a year. My best year was only 6.

Any body in Australia or New Zealand want to invite a poor VA hunter over? I am drooling over the list of species you can hunt. I'll buy all the beer afterwards!!!!!!! Good beer too!!!!!!
Tom
Dont go there in Aus everything possible can kill you and In NZ well its a sheep thing. Come here!:D

· Registered
214 Posts
No seriously save up for the air fare and come and get some quality shooting done here, no semi auto rifles though, the Police get a tad twitchy. Visitors firearm permits are simple enough and there is no bag limit here! Pay your own shipping on trophies though!:D
If you came at this time of year you could do some historic rifle shooting at the Trafalgar meeting, duck and goose flighting, pheasant and Partridge shooting and some great deer stalking. Best bit is its about 10 degrees C at the coldest part of the day now!:)

· Registered
200 Posts
For me here in Nevada it's been one tag draw every three or four years :-(
The mule deer are big though. The one I got this year we named "Mr. Tasty" :)
24626151, what range is a normal shot there? Here 250 to 350 yards is not out of line.

Dino in Reno

· Registered
214 Posts
Shots can range from a deer stood below your stand or high seat to ones I have seen out at 400 yards across pasture. Admittedly the furthest that I have taken is at 260 yards on a field but most are very close hence my low mag scopes!

· Registered
11,249 Posts
In Minnesota (the State where absolutely nothing is allowed) it varies by zone . Usually one deer per season and you have to draw for a doe permit. In areas of high deer population, you can purchase 'bonus tags' for more antlerless, sometimes up to 5 or 6 extra.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.