Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
In my part of Tennessee it is three per day during the two gun seasons with a two buck limit. Muzzle loader is three or four and archery is four. Add on the special seasons and you better have a lot of freezers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
re: what's you state deer limit?

Hello...

Here in Maine you are basically allowed only 1 deer per year. Unless you hunt in the expanded archery zones during archery season, in which case you could take 1 in the expanded zone and 1 during the regular firearms season, you are only permitted to take 1 deer per year. This is a bummer, but deer are rather thin on the ground in Maine. 99% of the state is heavily forested, with little agriculture. For me, last year, I got a doe during archery season, and that meant I was done for the year's deer hunting. During firearms season, unless you have a doe permit, you must take an antlered buck. Same thing with muzzleloading season: if you took a firearms deer, you would not be able to hunt deer with the muzzleloader. That's the way it is...

Cheers,
Gary

·
Platinum Bullet Member
696 Posts
In Florida, it is basically two per day except on certain management areas. In 1990, I took 3 nice bucks in two days on a private lease.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
In Pa. its one buck per regular license per yr. and you have the opportunity to buy a doe tag for different areas of the state, Depending where that area is like around Pittsburgh you can buy I think unlimited doe tags. So basicly 2 deer per season

·
Registered
116 Posts
Texas is so big, it varies by county, zones, and species. In the Hillcountry where a monster white tail is 125 lbs, most counties allow 5 total including 2 bucks. My friends who get to hunt "real" deer always ask "Why'd you shoot the dog?", since the average doe is about 80 lbs!

·
Ask me about my 390 lbs mother in law.
1,005 Posts
South Carolina has a 10 deer limit. We don't have check stations and everything is on an honor system. With so much crop damage and herds of deer chomping on everything in sight many farmers are offered tags so people can come in and thin out the herds. No limit on wild hogs

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
In NC it's six per hunter. Depending on which region you live it you may take anywhere from one to six "anterless" deer. In some areas you can apply for a special permit to take two additional anterless deer. Some parts of the state are over run with deer, especially near urban areas.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Deer limits

In WV it depends on how many "extra" tags you want to pay for.
There is a total, but I cannot recall what it is at the moment. A few years ago, with the proper tags for a resident, you could legally take up to seven, depending on where you hunted in the state.
On a regular resident hunting license, it depends on the county and even then, some counties are archery only, some split buck & doe harvests on an imaginary boundry mark, other counties and cities are actually having special, or extra/extended seasons to thin the herds.
There's an urban hunting permit being issued in a few cities, with restrictions.
There's a maze of a website that you can wade through to get even more confused.
Just search for WVDNR then click on game hunting regulations.
Most of the season start dates are geared toward the independently wealthy or the unemployed.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Nowhere near enough in W. Illinois.
Population went from 0 in the 60s to damn nuisance today. Triplets getting to be common.
I live in one of the three main hunting counties in the sate. It has gotten to be quite a cottage industry.
They are finding beginnings of the wasting disease and personally I hope they get mostly wasted.
Driving is a major hazard any more, gardens and young trees in constant peril.
Three or four people a week total their cars on them, often being blindsided by a suicidal horned rat.
You do a tiny screwup in season, though and they throw the book at you.
Flamethrowers and M60s would be good.
I don't like the meat, niether.
Turkeys is good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
deer limit's for sambar here in victoria australia is no limit as it's open season all year round if you only stalker or stand hunt if using dog's they have short period only. fallow deer have short period that you can hunt them and hog deer is done with a ballot which cost's about $10 dollars to enter and they have a very short season and limited area that you can hunt from.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
For residents, each year....
5 Caribou per day, on state lands, 15 caribou per day on Fed lands.
Season starts July first, ends June 30.
May 1st to July 30, bulls only

1 Musk ox by permit, one moose, one sheep with permit, 3 Black bears, one Brown Bear, 20 Wolves, and trapping fur bearers is better.....
Though we only hunt for what we need, and eat or wear all we catch, no trophy hunting here. The Meat is the trophy.

You call it Hunting, we call it Shopping.

Oh ya, its finnaly cool enough that the Caribou are now moving.....I'll post what I catch for freeze up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here in Alabama - basically 2 a day during the season (whole season runs from around mid nov to end of jan, some counties have slightly different dates).

from the hunting regs http://www.outdooralabama.com/hunting/regulations/2006-2007RegBook-Final.pdf
ANTLERED BUCKS – bare antlers visible above natural
hairline – one a day. Guns or Bow and Arrow (including
Crossbows). Barbour County Antler Restriction –
Except on the statewide special youth deer hunting
date, harvest of white-tailed deer bucks in Barbour
County will be limited to those that have a minimum of
three points on one side. A point is an antler
projection of at least one inch in length from base to
tip. Main beam tip shall be counted as a point
regardless of length.
HUNTERS’ CHOICE (except spotted fawns) – During the
Hunters’ Choice Gun Season, two deer per day may be
harvested only one of which may be an antlered buck.
(Two unantlered deer or one unantlered deer and one
antlered deer.) See Special Antler Restriction for
Barbour County. Hunters’ Choice dates coincide with
all or part of the antlered bucks hunting dates.
Legal
hunting methods (Dog or Stalk Hunting) shall be the
same as listed in the Deer: Antlered Buck Season for
each county or area during the dates of Hunters’
Choice Season.
SPECIAL YOUTH DEER HUNTING– Statewide on
November 11-12, Hunter’s Choice (except spotted
fawns – one deer per day), and also by dog hunting in
those counties or parts of counties where and how it is
allowed during the regular dog deer hunting season.
Same legal arms and ammunition apply as in Hunter’s
Choice deer season.
SPECIAL MUZZLELOADER AND BOW AND ARROW AND
SPEAR – STALK HUNTING ONLY (NO DOGS), two deer
per day only one of which may be an antlered buck
(Two unantlered deer or one unantlered deer and one
antlered deer, except Spotted Fawns). See Special
Antler Restriction for Barbour County.

·
Registered
214 Posts
No limits here at all, in fact we are also about to reduce our minimum calibre restriction for Muntjac as they are spreading like rabbits overhere. As long as foot and mouth doesnt take hold we can still stalk here subject to very few restrictions. Only laws to be obeyed are tresspass, firearms and seasonal limitations for sex, we have overlapping doe and buck seasons. We manage populations through agreeing cull targets with landowners. Does tend to be open from November to March with overlapping buck seasons. No bag limits and no limits seasonal, sexual or otherwise for Muntjac.
Guess what we are still overrun with the buggers!:D

·
Registered
214 Posts
can you use a spot light with a permit to cull deer in the uk or usa as we can for pest control.
You can apply for a permit for night stalking as the normal limits are 1 hr before dawn and 1 hr after sunset in the Deer act. You would need to be the agent of a landowner with severe crop damage to warrant applying. We can however lamp everything else with no restrictions. This protection of deer came about in the 1960's as farmers were doing deer drives with shotguns as they had become agricultural pests and the country needed its crops. All long before europe paid us not to farm. A few people decided that Deer needed treating with respect as accorded in Germany and so the deer act was born. It banned the use of shotguns except for severely limited circumstances, the pest destruction in crops at night is one case where shot guns are permitted but limited to SG and above.
Defra the min of ag are the people who deal with permits and as they are all townies there is little chance of getting the permit. Of course you can take them to court and win but by then the crops have gone. Far easier to manage the herds by intensive culling to force them off your ground!

·
Registered
214 Posts
deer limit's for sambar here in victoria australia is no limit as it's open season all year round if you only stalker or stand hunt if using dog's they have short period only. fallow deer have short period that you can hunt them and hog deer is done with a ballot which cost's about $10 dollars to enter and they have a very short season and limited area that you can hunt from.
I'd love to know more about down under as I'm being interviewed for a job there on Friday, No idea where so I'll take my chances!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts