Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a .40 plastic pistol and have narrowed it down to a Glock 22 or Springfield XDm 4.5. I can get a used/rebuilt G22 or a new XDm for about the same price. I'd appreciate hearing everyone's opinions.

Many thanks.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,815 Posts
I dislike "plastic" pistols, but I really like my friend's XD.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
I'd get a S&W M&P. I like the feel of them better and if you wanted to do any trigger work or other, from what I hear it's very easy. I've read a story about a guy shooting his past 50k rounds too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a 5" XD in 45cal and have been shooting it regularly over the past 5 years. Its a great weapon. What attracted me to it over the Glock was the feel on it in my hand-it just fit me better. I think one of the biggest strong points of the XD and XDm is the grip angle- very similar to the 1911- nearly perfect in that it matches the natural grip angle of the wrist. With the gun in your hand, push it straight out in front of you without aiming and the barrel is pretty much on plane. On a closed range I have closed my eyes, thrust the pistol straight out and had no problem putting rounds center of mass @7 yrds. I tried that with a friends Glock and the gun will point up, not level-because of the sharper grip angle. You have to consciously point the Glock more than the XD. Both are well made and reliable weapons- you wont be disappointed in either- But get the XDm:laugh:

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,174 Posts
Entirely personal preference.

I am a big Glock fan, duty user and Armorer. The XDs have a good reputation, so if you like those, I see no reason NOT to buy one.

That being said, there are more holsters, spare parts, after market add-ons, et al. currently available for the .40S&W Glocks than for the XDs, so that is definitely something to consider. Here's the question to ask yourself: Which feels better in my hands, and which do I shoot better with? You NEED confidence in your weapons system.

Pat

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
No experience with either, and since they are both plastic, don't expect i will. That said, I'd suggest finding opportunity to handle and shoot both and buy the one that fits you best. Both have decent reputations for reliability.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'd go with the Glock. All those police agencies and now the Navy Seals use them as their weapon of choice, so if the Glock is good enough for them its' good enough for me. My G-22 fits my hand perfectly. I have a friend who is an RCMP sargeant and he swears by his G-22. Plastic or polymer, whatever you want to call the material, they are tough tough handguns.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,903 Posts
i was hard to convert, have had my G22 for about 2 years, it'll be with me the rest of my life. accurate and utterly reliable.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had extensive experience with both brands and feel that both have positive and negative features. In the end I went with a .40 XDm 4.5". While larger and heavier than the Glock 22 those were not determining considerations for me. I choose the XDm as the grip is much more ergonomic and can be fitted to my particular hand size. It also has an external safety, steel sights and magazines, came with a holster, mag pouch, magazine loader and five magazines......all at a lower price than the Glock!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have a preference for the Glock, but it's just that, my preference. That said, I think you did very well and will be very happy with the XD. They are great guns, and I've considered buying one myself several times in recent years. I think the Glock, S&W M&P, and the XD lines are three of the best lines of guns available right now.

·
Registered
348 Posts
i sold all my plastic guns some years ago.......but the only brand i ever owned was glock,a 17,19,26 and a 17c.the 17c was my fav!all great guns just not into plastic anymore.....only tokarev's up to 13 now!most are safe queens,5 or so that are shooters,what a great weapon!

·
Silver Bullet member
1,427 Posts
I've never owned a Glock so I can't speak to them personally. Feedback from friends that do own them is that they are great weapons. I do have an XDm .45 ACP 4.5". I love this pistol and can shoot more accurately with it than I can my Springfield 1911 loaded. FWIW, I'm hooked on the XDm series.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I have had a 4 glocks and 2 xds, and for me, the xd kills it. I get a Leo discount on glocks, which is a hundred bucks less than Leo on xd. As such, I have 2 glocks now and 1 xd. I still would grab the xd first every time. They are both great weapons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.