Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there's many from 42-44. Because of the largely static type of warfare waged on the Finn/Soviet front from later 1942 until the summer of 1944, I'm guessing there aren't many from this period.

I don't have any dated past 1939 FWIW, so I'm not in the running for this one.

Poot

9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My latest date Finn captures are:
1943 Izhevsk 91/30 SA
1943 Izhevsk M44 SA
I've heard of a couple from 1944 but they seem to be extremely few and far between. I also have a couple of SA marked 42 Izhevsk 91/30's but these seem to be quite a bit more common. Anything dated later than 42 is very hard to find.

I agree Mike. A real find would be a '44 dated M44 capture. Yummmmm...

Poot

9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You also have my envy.........
And mine!

Wow, LOTS of SA marked M44s floating around here in the States. I'm very impressed with that fact alone, and judging only by the numbers declared here. So much for the theory that M44s were REMF rifles...Thanks for taking the time to answer roll call guys, lots of very desirable and interesting boom sticks out there.

Poot

9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hey Poot! Yep, there are a few SA M44s 43/44 is US collections however I would not call them "alot". I would have to look at my notes but I think Tuco or Vic stated a few years ago after a trip to Finland that there were only a couple hundred M44s captured. The Finns bundled the M38s and M44 into the same number as "carbines" and I think that number was only a couple of thousand. The M38 is a uncommon find as well.

I came into the 1943 SVT40 by absolute dumb luck. I have alway wondered how many of the late date 43-44 SVTs (Finn captured of course) were in collections today? Seems like Cruffler has one and I belive Vic has the entire line up-to 1944 (SA). Others?
Yeah, I agree it's not alot, but just alot more than I thought would be reported here on the forum. Either way, I'm impressed! One of these days I'll come across an SA marked M38 or M44...

Those SVTs sound great. As far as 'dumb luck', goes, hey, story of my life! Thanks again-

Poot

9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
FANTASTIC. Thanks for sharing!

Poot

9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
"Do you mean (post-war) Russian refurb marks?

Poot"

No, I mean the "X" type Russian capture mark. This is exactly the same as you see on other Russian capture guns such as the P-38s that were imported a couple of years ago.
Wow Ron, that's very cool. I've wanted to find a capture/recapture example like that for a long time. Before I'd heard of any I always wondered if they existed and were marked as such. It would be great to find one with the Finn (re)stock still intact on it. Sounds like a great rifle!

Poot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.