Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thinking about my love and enjoyment of the big black powder 577-450 round and the rifles that shoot them. What is everyone's favorite rifle particularly the Martini in this caliber to actually live fire?
I only have short lever MKII and long lever MkIV (which I haven't had the chance to shoot yet)
Anyone have feedback, experience between the variants they'd like to share. The forum has been very slow lately, so thought to get some conversation started or at least try too.

I am as we speak loading some rounds to go try out in my MKIV, but I honestly I'm not sure if I like the "feel" of the humpback receiver and longer lever as much as early receivers and short lever. Maybe its just because I've handled so many short levers over the years and wasn't until just a few weeks ago I ever owned or even handled a Long Lever Martini.
Another aspect I can tell is the stock profile. The drop of the comb on the MKII seems more comfortable than the rather straight MKIV profile.

On a random side note, can anyone tell me what the little marking is on Top of my MKIV stock is? It looks like a perfect 4 triangles making a square. Its too precise to be a random knock into something, I'd guess.

I really need to buy Neil's new book on Martini's. I've been anticipating it for for so long, I just need to get it already.
Attached are my current Martini's with bayonets.

·
Administrator
4,137 Posts
Shooting? Any of them. My turn to gun, usually my ZAR Westley Richards. Lately however I have been shooting the Sporting Martini's. I really like my Greener 577/450 No. Express.

Reactions: 148Infantry

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked up a MkIV several months back.

Still haven't shot it, no pistol primers to be found.
Man I hear ya. Primers are unobtainium these days. I stocked up on all reloading stuff and of course I wish I had more.
I have one box of 50 .470 480grain grease groove bullets that I’m going to put through the MKIV. At least to “get a feel” for it. It’s in fantastic condition. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
That design on the top of the butt looks like a clamp mark from being lightly held in a vise.
Btw, Neil's book is really a fantastic reference.

Reactions: 148Infantry

·
Administrator
4,137 Posts
Long levers have never appealed to me either. Nothing wrong with them, they just aren't my cup of tea. They shoot pretty good however.

That little four quadrant mark as stated above is from a clamp.

And yes Neil's book is highly recommended.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
My favourite is a 1878 NAA carbine ,with marking QG124.....In the government service for over a 100 years ,I got it from a clearout of old stuff when the Ag and Stock moved into a new building.......Anyway ,its got a mint bore , serious scabbard wear and rack wear on the wood,and generally knocked around .....It too is a bitza ,from armourers repairs over the years,with not a few 303 parts used ......most Ive changed to the correct bits,where necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.