Gunboards Forums banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have seen a large amount of flippers over the last few years emerge in the hobby......Its concerning.....

I dont mind sharing the knowledge I do have in the hobby, but I hate being mislead.....

Case in point.... I saw a fellow purchase a pretty decent Gew 98 at a recent show...I had been looking at it before him but there were a few things wromg with her, but it was a good price..... 2 hours later I saw him walking around with said milsurp trying to sell it at a 250 percent mark up.....

I see the same thing on these boards, guys advertising to buy something then several weeks later selling the same or like item in a WTS post.....

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I have seen a large amount of flippers over the last few years emerge in the hobby......Its concerning.....

I dont mind sharing the knowledge I do have in the hobby, but I hate being mislead.....

Case in point.... I saw a fellow purchase a pretty decent Gew 98 at a recent show...I had been looking at it before him but there were a few things wromg with her, but it was a good price..... 2 hours later I saw him walking around with said milsurp trying to sell it at a 250 percent mark up.....

I see the same thing on these boards, guys advertising to buy something then several weeks later selling the same or like item in a WTS post.....
Another forum I am a member of has a dealer who has subscribed to the FOR SALE section.. He buys items instantly before anyone else has a chance to view the thread(due to being subscribed to the entire forum section) and then a week or two later puts them back on the same trader for way more $$. It's capitalism and there's no rules against it but it's in very poor taste.

·
Registered
394 Posts

That sucks. I walked around a show a few months ago with a rifle I thought I was asking a decent market value price for. Had lots of interest from dealers who wanted to pay me 60% of my asking price. And I can’t tell you how many I saw on tables asking double for it.

A couple years ago at the same show I’d bought a Garand. I had lots of people asking me about it, was I selling it, etc. I basically had to walk around like “no, mine, keep away.” Lol. The exact opposite of what you describe

Another forum I am a member of has a dealer who has subscribed to the FOR SALE section.. He buys items instantly before anyone else has a chance to view the thread(due to being subscribed to the entire forum section) and then a week or two later puts them back on the same trader for way more $$. It's capitalism and there's no rules against it but it's in very poor taste.
I agree with this that it’s in very poor taste. I have had plenty of thoughts about finding/getting something for a “deal” and then selling in the future if I don’t need/want/have room for it but I’ve got to say I’ve yet to do this. The problem now is I have accumulated too much stuff and space is tight and so is money to a degree so at some point I will have to pare down some duplicates or things I don’t prize as much as others. I figure I’ll try the forum first rather than gunbroker to try to sell to other collectors or people that can appreciate this stuff but also to try to avoid fees to both the buyer and seller. Then I start to worry about if it’s something I got from the trader and try to sell there again for possibly an increased fair market price will I be perceived as a profit seeking flipper? I wouldn’t sell my house for what I paid for it but I wouldn’t presume to get higher than market for it either.

I have noticed some guns I see purchased on the trader or other places pop up on gunbroker for much higher prices too. I’ve got my eye on someone I believe is doing this much like you describe on the other forum but they go onto gunbroker. If not for any other reason than my own curiosity because, like you said, it’s maybe not against a rule but is distasteful. Saw one sold on a dealer site recently show up on some traders for a couple hundred more a few weeks later.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
That sucks. I walked around a show a few months ago with a rifle I thought I was asking a decent market value price for. Had lots of interest from dealers who wanted to pay me 60% of my asking price. And I can’t tell you how many I saw on tables asking double for it.

A couple years ago at the same show I’d bought a Garand. I had lots of people asking me about it, was I selling it, etc. I basically had to walk around like “no, mine, keep away.” Lol. The exact opposite of what you describe

I agree with this that it’s in very poor taste. I have had plenty of thoughts about finding/getting something for a “deal” and then selling in the future if I don’t need/want/have room for it but I’ve got to say I’ve yet to do this. The problem now is I have accumulated too much stuff and space is tight and so is money to a degree so at some point I will have to pare down some duplicates or things I don’t prize as much as others. I figure I’ll try the forum first rather than gunbroker to try to sell to other collectors or people that can appreciate this stuff but also to try to avoid fees to both the buyer and seller. Then I start to worry about if it’s something I got from the trader and try to sell there again for possibly an increased fair market price will I be perceived as a profit seeking flipper? I wouldn’t sell my house for what I paid for it but I wouldn’t presume to get higher than market for it either.

I have noticed some guns I see purchased on the trader or other places pop up on gunbroker for much higher prices too. I’ve got my eye on someone I believe is doing this much like you describe on the other forum but they go onto gunbroker. If not for any other reason than my own curiosity because, like you said, it’s maybe not against a rule but is distasteful. Saw one sold on a dealer site recently show up on some traders for a couple hundred more a few weeks later.
Welllllll….”market” is whatever someone is willing to pay pay for whatever. I usually follow the East German judge approach and toss out the high and low prices, if it’s not a one of a kind.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Welllllll….”market” is whatever someone is willing to pay pay for whatever. I usually follow the East German judge approach and toss out the high and low prices, if it’s not a one of a kind.
It was a 1903A3. I was asking $850 for it I think which is what I paid for it. Nice dealers agreed it was a fair price but too high for them. A*hole dealers offered me $600 like they were doing me a favor and got annoyed at me when I politely declined. One guy went up to $700 trade value and talked to me like I needed to give him a “dealer’s price” even asked me “what can you do for a dealer?” As if I should somehow give him special treatment because he was a dealer so I should immediately take a loss on it and be happy about it. The cheapest one I saw there was $1200-1300 and most were high teens and over $2k which seems really high (currently) for 1903A3’s. The only reason I was trying to sell is because I had another on the way. That turned out to have an undisclosed counter bore (on a US rifle???) so back it went to the seller and I still have the one I was trying to sell.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was really lucky while I was growing up, I only got to enjoy the unique taste only a bar of Safeguard produced...every [email protected] time I did something to deserve it. After Mom went through a family pack she started keeping in the kitchen just for me, I started to blow bubbles out of boredom. The house phone bounced off my head shortly after I started, but I didn't have any more soap shoved in my mouth.

That said, if there's any transfer of value, assume somebody who is involved is working an angle. If pressed for time and can't get advice from someone experienced, Google is better than nothing if capable of spotting puff pieces and ignoring them. General knowledge in the items you are interested in buying is probably the best thing that you can waste time gaining whilst procrastinating.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts