Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Your premise is flawed when you use the word "community" to describe firearms sellers.. there's no sense, or any obligation, of "community" when it comes to making a buck or two... it is capitalism in action, "caveat emptor", and nothing else. Just like buying a used car on any corner lot in any town in America, proper buyer research and tire kicking is the best answer.
Are you saying that because nobody can be trusted, that people deserve to be ripped off, if they trust? People seem to take this attitude to lend legitimacy to what they do. If someone rips you off, that doesn't give you the right to rip the next guy off either. "caveat emptor" is not a right.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
NC,

I saw the clown dealer..... I love how heis relying on the tag from Century that it is a sniper.....

Unfortunately I have seen it all too often that a dealer plays dumb on an item One week, then when the item is legit he proffers all the info he can about it.....

Here he is being extra vague and knows it is all wrong.....

·
Registered
201 Posts
NO ONE should put the word "Original" in an auction for a military rifle unless they are pretty sure that no one has modified it substantially after it left military service. Yes everyone do your research, but a fraudulent/ignorant (to the benefit of the seller) item description deserves to be called out repeatedly for what it is. If it was really ignorance, the seller should have been glad for the attempted education.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a gun shop owner do this to me in person once.

He was all proud of it, it was the gem of his office collection. I looked at it for two seconds and went nope it is a Century Repo on a standard referb 91/30. I pointed out all the indicators. He tried to claim I was wrong, then looked it up and stomped off in a huff. Talked to the other owner for a bit, they had picked it up for about $100 under market for a repo at the time so not really sure why he was so upset about it. It was gone next time I stopped in, and I never managed to get back on that guys good side before their store went under. 😅

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I had a gun shop owner do this to me in person once.

He was all proud of it, it was the gem of his office collection. I looked at it for two seconds and went nope it is a Century Repo on a standard referb 91/30. I pointed out all the indicators. He tried to claim I was wrong, then looked it up and stomped off in a huff. Talked to the other owner for a bit, they had picked it up for about $100 under market for a repo at the time so not really sure why he was so upset about it. It was gone next time I stopped in, and I never managed to get back on that guys good side before their store went under. 😅
that isn't hard to understand. no one enjoys being corrected/told they're wrong.

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,619 Posts
I looked and yeah its a not and original sniper. Pretty sure previous poster is correct and mount may be aluminum. I do think the word "original" is purposely deceptive and is a clear heads up. I have found its a waste of time trying to correct someone who is clearly unreceptive. Does anyone else think Its actually in your best interests to stay out of the fray. I know some really big sellers and they often block bidders who annoy them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I looked and yeah its a not and original sniper. Pretty sure previous poster is correct and mount may be aluminum. I do think the word "original" is purposely deceptive and is a clear heads up. I have found its a waste of time trying to correct someone who is clearly unreceptive. Does anyone else think Its actually in your best interests to stay out of the fray. I know some really big sellers and they often block bidders who annoy them.
Yes, I agree. If a guy pays $4.5K for a 190A3A4 and it's a Smith Corona? Come on. If you're going to be adult enough to throw big bucks around, you should be adult enough to do your research. The lesson that we remember the most are the ones that were the worst. As far as the seller? You can't reach some people. They do what they do because of who they are. You aren't going to fix it by messaging them. Going through life telling someone they are a con man or a liar ain't much of a living. Just my opinion.

·
Silver Bullet member
858 Posts
Whatever happened to “buyer beware “? That was taught to me at a young age. People were dishonest then, and they are now.
The difference is we have a fantastic resource in the web where we can research. Unlike in past days where there was very little information easily available.
I just don’t understand anyone spending serious coin on anything without checking everything out.
Buying a 24/47 in 2006 for $79 wasn’t much of a gamble, even though we had no money at the time. Spending $1500 on anything and Im going to study it as much as possible.

·
Registered
191 Posts
that isn't hard to understand. no one enjoys being corrected/told they're wrong.
I guess to me yeah it sucks that it wasn't an original/referb pu like he thought. However, he paid under market for a repo, and being a dealer he could easily flip it for a profit selling it as the repo it was.

Now if he had bought it at two or three times a repo's market price thinking it was a referb/original, that I would understand him being upset about.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Used to hit the local gun shows as often as I could. Stopped going when I saw the same over priced junk and got more excuses when I asked if the dealer would remove the cable tie. Even offered to replace the tie as I carried spares in my gun show bag. Guy had a 1894 Winchester in 30-30 that was in reasonable shape but wouldn't take the tie off. Thanked him and on the next dealers table another nicer 1894 and in better shape. He took the tie off and handed me the rifle. Bore was pristine. Handed him the tie and I said I'll take it. The dealer next to him just about had his mouth drop. Told him as I walked by "your loss my gain". And more BS than you could shovel in a month of Sundays. Most of it wrong and some down right lies. One genius was telling a prospective customer how he paid $600 each for the two H&R model 12's as sold by the CMP. He was selling them for $700 each. Couldn't refrain form telling him to his face "More like $300 each and I notice you haven't the Redfield Palma rear sight and Redfield globe front sight with inserts either". "I have one like it at home with all the goodies". The prospective customer gave him a look and walked away. Caught up with him and gave him the info as to how he could get one. I don't mind making a profit but $400 over what he actually paid. Frank

21 - 40 of 91 Posts