Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally broke down and bought a Mosin 91/30 from Cabela's. Not a beauty but it has character with brass ends on the barrel guard and a decent bore as far as my untrained eyes can tell. It is my first rifle. I cleaned the bore using Hoppes/Shooters Choice/MC50 and Copperzilla and have put about 60 rounds of new brass cased ammo through it. I have reached a state where I'm getting 99% clean patches out now. I have cleaned it only four times, when it was new and after each range session. The first cleanings never resulted in a clean patch. I did get some black spirals that I assume came out of the rifling with the first cleaning. The bore was shiny from day one and to me looks to have good rifling and few if any pits. Furthermore when I shoot it tends to shoot low...about 6 inches at 100 yards. It may be just another 42 Ishevsk but it's been a lot of fun for this newbie.

I have to get some decent images to post but I'm looking for insight into some stampings on the barrel. I have a number 15 at an angle above the Soviet crest and a squared off letter c inside a square. i know what the circle k and circle in a circle mean but I also have what is either an incomplete stamped concentric circles or intentionally made concentric half circles. There is also a large square that I assume is a refurbish mark on the barrel as well as a large stylized but linear capital A on the stock near the barrel. Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Congrats on the buy. Mosins are hands down without a doubt the best bang for your buck C&R. There is not other out there that can range from a $150 version to a $4,000+ version. The sky is the limit when collecting them.

The best thing to do it shoot it, enjoy it, take pics, and post them up. People can tell you what you have and what you don't have. There are so many stamps out there you never know. Stick around and you will find yourself coming back here more than other places. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what brand of ammo did you use?
Herters 180g made by S&B and PPU 150g. Strangely the 180g shoots 4-5 inches higher consistantly and vice vesa. I want to shoot a lot more before commiting to adjustments but most of the 180's are in the lower right quadrant of a 12 x 12 target set up normal. I can do about the same with the 150g if I set the rear sight at 200 yds. I am shooting with the front of main
part of stock on a rest.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you got a bayonet with it, put it on the next time you shoot it. You'll see the shots shift due to the bayonet affecting the barrel harmonics. That and it gets everyone's attention at the range!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't tried with bayonet yet. I will probably try to zero it w/o and only use the bayonet after that as I doubt I want to carry it around too often. I know it was probably originally zeroed with one on but don't feel the need to carry it. As a new rifle shooter I am happy I can hit anything right now. Once I'm sure it's not me I might drift the front site but windage is only off by a couple of inches. I want to try to consistantly shoot the same ammo for awhile and then start adjusting. So far the two types of ammo are grouping relatively well just very different from each other. Hope to shoot again in the next few days and grab some photos. I have a few obscure marks on the barrel that I haven't been able to get an image of and have had no luck trying a white crayon to help highlight them. I can tell theI guess that is all part of the fun.

·
Registered
727 Posts
http://7.62x54r.net/ has a wealth of information on the 91/30. Be forewarned that if you post on that forum, they are very strict on what they allow.

Most of the small stamps are inspection stamps and proof stamps. The meanings of which are lost to history. One thing is certain. Something new always pops up where Mosin rifles are concerned. They are also addictive. I started with one. Then there was the second one. Then I made the "mistake" of getting my C&R03 firearm license. Boy was that an expensive $30!!. Now I can have C&R guns sent right to my door. That lead to the 3rd, then 4th, then 5th..... Other than a woman with a credit card, it's the fastest way to drain a bank account!

:laugh:

While the site above is a good source of information, the folks on this site are really great for answering questions and sharing their knowledge. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
http://7.62x54r.net/ has a wealth of information on the 91/30. Be forewarned that if you post on that forum, they are very strict on what they allow.
Yeah, wouldn't suggest even posting on their forums, even if you can get accepted after you pass initiation (not kidding). The admins their would like nothing more than to ban new members who aren't experts, so I tend to avoid it now. Post some pictures if you can eventually get some pictures, I'm sure the members of this board will be helpful.

·
Registered
13,412 Posts
One nice thing about a rifle that consistently shoots low is you can always adjust the rear sight up to bring it more in line with where you want it to be. If you don't like that solution, front sights and files often can do some great things together.

It is the high-shooting ones that are the real headaches.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Welcome!

Go order a tin of regular milsurp light ball from one of our sponsors - the rifle was originally sighted in with bayonet fixed using Russian light ball ammo. 440 rounds of milsurp Russian silvertip (clean immediately after shooting -it is corrosive) will be far cheaper than store-bought modern ammo, so you can have more fun and experiment more.

Also, many military shooters use the six o'clock hold, putting the target like a pumpkin on the fence sitting on your front sight rather than holding dead center. I don't know what method you are using, but that will drop your POI a bit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Welcome!

Go order a tin of regular milsurp light ball from one of our sponsors - the rifle was originally sighted in with bayonet fixed using Russian light ball ammo. 440 rounds of milsurp Russian silvertip (clean immediately after shooting -it is corrosive) will be far cheaper than store-bought modern ammo, so you can have more fun and experiment more.

Also, many military shooters use the six o'clock hold, putting the target like a pumpkin on the fence sitting on your front sight rather than holding dead center. I don't know what method you are using, but that will drop your POI a bit.
Shot it again today and it still shot low. Got interrupted by storm before I could try any correction. Only got off a dozen rounds and it shot even lower than before I got the bore super clean. Not sure I want to raise the rear sight settings any more. I may have to file the front post.

The guy I shot with brought his beater M38 which I had to inform him was actually a rather nice Ishevsk 1942 M91/59 with blonde stock.. Taught me a good lesson about cleaning immediately after shooting corrosive ammo. His bore looked really black and pitted but cleaned up very shiny after a little love. Unfortunately his not having cleaned it regularly had left what was probably a great bore very pitted. The way the bore shined after cleaning made me think it would have looked great had he flushed the corrosive salts when he first startied shooting it. It shot very straight despite the pitting.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
I suggest you don't file sights until you try regular good old milsurp Russian light ball ammo or its modern equivalent. Different ammo shoots to different POIs and you need to try the stuff it was built for.

Shot it again today and it still shot low. Got interrupted by storm before I could try any correction. Only got off a dozen rounds and it shot even lower than before I got the bore super clean. Not sure I want to raise the rear sight settings any more. I may have to file the front post.

The guy I shot with brought his beater M38 which I had to inform him was actually a rather nice Ishevsk 1942 M91/59 with blonde stock.. Taught me a good lesson about cleaning immediately after shooting corrosive ammo. His bore looked really black and pitted but cleaned up very shiny after a little love. Unfortunately his not having cleaned it regularly had left what was probably a great bore very pitted. The way the bore shined after cleaning made me think it would have looked great had he flushed the corrosive salts when he first startied shooting it. It shot very straight despite the pitting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suggest you don't file sights until you try regular good old milsurp Russian light ball ammo or its modern equivalent. Different ammo shoots to different POIs and you need to try the stuff it was built for.
Getting some milsurp ammo is on my to-do list. I'm finally starting to think I can deal with the cleaning process while saving some money. Still surprised to see how much larger my groupings were today with same ammo. Finally getting the bore really clean is the biggest change but I really didn't shoot enough to form a strong opinion.

·
Registered
23,409 Posts
Yeah, wouldn't suggest even posting on their forums, even if you can get accepted after you pass initiation (not kidding). The admins their would like nothing more than to ban new members who aren't experts, so I tend to avoid it now. Post some pictures if you can eventually get some pictures, I'm sure the members of this board will be helpful.
I disagree. Both of these forums are good forums. There are many of the same members there that are also on here. Both Vic and Tuco's forum here, and Ted's forum at 7.62x54R.net are great forums and valuable sources of information.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats on the buy. Mosins are hands down without a doubt the best bang for your buck C&R. There is not other out there that can range from a $150 version to a $4,000+ version. The sky is the limit when collecting them.

The best thing to do it shoot it, enjoy it, take pics, and post them up. People can tell you what you have and what you don't have. There are so many stamps out there you never know. Stick around and you will find yourself coming back here more than other places. :thumbsup:
Finally got around to posting images. Looking for insight into the A on the stock, the 15 on the barrel, the 3 on the receiver and just what the heck the marks are next to the 3 on top of the receiver, to the left of the circle K on the left side of the barrel, and to the right of the 15 on top of the barrel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts