Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a Romanian SKS to add to the collection. I saw one today dated 1960, for $125. However, most of the bluing is gone and it has mismatched numbers. Condition is only maybe 70% overall, I'd say fair-good. Is it worth buying? I have seen very few for sale in the past several years, most were in this general condition. Were they ever used in combat? Of all the makes of SKS's I have seen, these seem the most worn, except for those that saw service in Vietnam.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
like you say, they are seldom seen. i'd jump.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Go for it!

1960 is the last 'accepted' year of production for the Romanian SKS and not an easy year to find (excluding years 1961 & 1962 which are uber rare). The majority of the Romanians are in mis-matched condition. For $125, you just can't go wrong. Try it, and if you don't like it, I will take it!

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,472 Posts
IMO the Romy guns were carried a lot and probably used for training in that seem like they were dissembled a lot put back together and so on.

Sounds like a decent price if you don't have one.

G

·
This is one I will soon be trading/selling to a friend and mentor of mine in Appalachia, an all-stamped and matching 1959 in excellent condition.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts
This is one I will soon be trading/selling to a friend and mentor of mine in Appalachia, an all-stamped and matching 1959 in excellent condition.

One of the better looking Romanian rifles that I've seen....you might rethink moving that one....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went back to the pawn shop again. They offered the SKS for $100 so I bought it. It cleaned up nicely and shoots real well. The only problem was that I had to move the front sight way over to the side to sight it in and I prefer to have the post centered over the bore if possible. No malfunctions, and the barrel is in very good shape. I wish the bolt numbers matched, but for the price I'm pretty happy. They also had a like new British No 4 Mk 2 with bayonet, and an all matching 1960 dated Chinese Type 53. I bought those also since they filled some other holes in my collection. Thanks for your earlier replies and suggestions.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I went back to the pawn shop again. They offered the SKS for $100 so I bought it. It cleaned up nicely and shoots real well. The only problem was that I had to move the front sight way over to the side to sight it in and I prefer to have the post centered over the bore if possible. No malfunctions, and the barrel is in very good shape. I wish the bolt numbers matched, but for the price I'm pretty happy. They also had a like new British No 4 Mk 2 with bayonet, and an all matching 1960 dated Chinese Type 53. I bought those also since they filled some other holes in my collection. Thanks for your earlier replies and suggestions.
Wow you did well ! ! ! !

Pics brother!! PICS!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts