Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
All of the Bulg 1950s ammo is suspect. I got some where 1-2 out of 10 cases are split right out of the can. The brass is to hard or to thin and all of the light ball has been poor except the stuff that was on stripper clips, for some reason none of it that I got had splits. I got some yellow tip friday, a 250 round can and 2, 300 round cans from Century and the 300 round cans had a lot of splits, but the 250 round can was looking a lot better but the bullets were not yellow tip, just a yellow stripe on the can. I only bought it to bump the $$ over 500 to get the free shipping on the cheap soft point they had on sale.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've heard it's mostly '52 and '53. I've got a can of '52 LB and it has about 10% cracked necks.

All of the Bulg 1950s ammo is suspect. I got some where 1-2 out of 10 cases are split right out of the can. The brass is to hard or to thin and all of the light ball has been poor except the stuff that was on stripper clips, for some reason none of it that I got had splits. I got some yellow tip friday, a 250 round can and 2, 300 round cans from Century and the 300 round cans had a lot of splits, but the 250 round can was looking a lot better but the bullets were not yellow tip, just a yellow stripe on the can. I only bought it to bump the $$ over 500 to get the free shipping on the cheap soft point they had on sale.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,794 Posts
Maybe it's all bad...my understanding was that the 250 round cans were worse than the 300 round cans but that is not supported by what the others above have said about their experience....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The bulg 54R is all hit or miss some good some bad they all fire no clicks or click--bang some cases have splits some dont over all good ammo..

·
Registered
806 Posts
52'. In the 300rd cans from sog. Out of 60rds had 5 with split cases after fired
1 blew out the primer and 1 has black soot starting to come out the primer side and a
small hole in the side of the case. None where click then bang. Kind of scary.

·
Registered
576 Posts
This is what Wideners had to say about the tin of 55' tin they opened and I've found it to true with all the HB I've shot.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6991&dir=18|190|191

Mostly what I see in the HB is some dents in the neck area which is no big deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
out of 900 rounds of '52 light ball from SOG, I had about 30 cracked necks-about 3 1/2
percent. still not bad when it was only 10 cents per round. It has shot well for me.
recoil is more comfortable than Hungarian LB, plus you can sell the brass.
I'd buy more if I could.

John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone ever open a seemingly intact 300-round can of Bulgarian light ball, and find water-damaged ammo inside? I bought two cans this Friday at a local store, and one can had corroded, nasty looking ammo. Less than 10 rounds looked good enough to fire without cleaning, and less than 40 others looked good enough to shoot with some minor cleaning with 0000 steel wool.

The store doesn't take returns on ammo, but they gave me another can at an incredible discount, and even opened it and made sure the ammo in it was good. I've heard of split necks on this ammo, and found a few in the cans I bought, but I don't think I've ever heard of people opening cans and finding water damage. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Anyone ever open a seemingly intact 300-round can of Bulgarian light ball, and find water-damaged ammo inside? I bought two cans this Friday at a local store, and one can had corroded, nasty looking ammo. Less than 10 rounds looked good enough to fire without cleaning, and less than 40 others looked good enough to shoot with some minor cleaning with 0000 steel wool.

The store doesn't take returns on ammo, but they gave me another can at an incredible discount, and even opened it and made sure the ammo in it was good. I've heard of split necks on this ammo, and found a few in the cans I bought, but I don't think I've ever heard of people opening cans and finding water damage. Has anyone else had this problem?
They didn't "give" you anything....they sold you more ammo! If you took that can back and let them see what they sold you.......SHAME on them for not exchanging it. Every sale has an 'implied warranty" that you are getting a useful product for your hard earned money.
There isn't a "no refund policy" in the land that can void that!

·
Registered
22 Posts
They didn't "give" you anything....they sold you more ammo! If you took that can back and let them see what they sold you.......SHAME on them for not exchanging it. Every sale has an 'implied warranty" that you are getting a useful product for your hard earned money.
There isn't a "no refund policy" in the land that can void that!
Maybe so...the water-damaged ammo wasn't totally unusable, as some rounds were in pretty good shape. I was glad to get something out of the deal. Yes, I paid for more ammo, but I got it for 75% off the original price. I can shoot whatever's shootable, pull down the bullets for future reloading, and scrap the bad cases.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hey Creepie dude, what are you asking the HB or LB. Most no doubt are assuming LB????

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
A lot of us got bad Bulg 762X54R when CIA first started selling it. The 250 rd cans of the LB. It did get better. I havent seen any bad HB.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
ALL of the Bulgarian HB has been gnarly.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Creepie. Whew!! Glad to hear no HB problems. 1eye probably nailed it down about early shipments but looking back I believe it was 1952 maybe 53 but early 50's IIRC that folks were complaining about.

I'm just staying away from the LB in any quantity. Sticking with the HB. I figure I'll find a rifle type that likes the HB.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have the 300rd. tin of '53 LB and I actually prefer that over the 250rd. tin of '50 on strippers that I bought. I think that some people get good and bad experiences with all of it, some with a few kinds, and none for some people. I think it's personal choice. Both types had about 3-6 cracked cases right out of the tin, and only the '50 had any split after firing. Only bad thing was getting gas in my face from one shot.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Anyone know if there is a higher powder charge on the '50 vs. the 53' ? It seems to be louder and kick more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts