Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 129210 o.k. so.. NOW "they" say we are OFFICALLY in a recession.. wall st did another almost 700 point drop :)p) YESTERDAY.. the feds continue to print up cash 24/7 and "bail out" anybody who is BIG and RICH.. AND obama is getting ready to take over in less than two months! what will happen NEXT?

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
More domestic based military units to patrol the streets in case of "disaster" or terrorisim is what.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chasdev: as long as they don't use 'em as POLICE on us law abiding citizens.. that posse comitatus act thing was put there for a GOOD reason!;)

·
Silver Bullet member
36,347 Posts

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
chasdev: as long as they don't use 'em as POLICE on us law abiding citizens.. that posse comitatus act thing was put there for a GOOD reason!;)
I guess I would rather have the Army kick my door down than Blackwater goons...

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
I have to disagree, if you screw the pooch (commit crimes against non-combantants or detainees) while in the the US military there is a robust mechanisim to catch and punish you.
Not sure the same applies to private corporate contractors...

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,485 Posts
View attachment 129381 now GM and CHRYSLER say they NEED 11 billion before the end of the year/month.. WOW..:confused:
They probably do if they are going to avoid bankruptcy. Which would to a high degree of probability kill the companies - not to mention break the bank at the pension guaranty commission, or whatever they call it. PBGIC sound right? It is unlikely that a car company could file under Chapter 11 and actually succeed in reorganization, unlike a chicken dis-assembly company (Pilgrim's Pride just filed). I'd judge that in any of the "Big Three" (""Sort of large two and a half" is probably more like it) filing for Chapter 11 would pretty quickly wind up converting to Chapter 7 and liquidation.

While that might be deemed no more than they deserve (and destruction of the UAW, which would come with it, would certainly be nothing that bunch didn't deserve), the economic impact across the nation probably WOULD be something we can't afford, just as the bosses in Detroit claim.

The American car sales business is really in the tank - a long-time dealer not far from here (in Rusk) has dropped new car sales and turned in its GM new car franchise, though it apparently will remain an authorized GM service location, including for warranty work. A pretty good sized small-town/"Country" dealer ("Come here and buy low, taking advantage of our low overhead") that had been in business a good many years. But no longer enough sales to suit either the dealer or, it appears, GM. I suspect part of the reason was the owner was having problems floor-planning his inventory and finding financing for such customers as did walk through the door.

And a lot of fire-sale level pricing around. 2008 Buick Lacrosse, under 20K miles, ex-rental, and cherry. Under $20K, on a car that has just about all the options and a new car sticker (I'm sure the rent-car company didn't pay that, of course) of somewhere around $35-40K. I'm considering it to replace my (19 year old) Park Avenue, though I really think I'd prefer an Infiniti. Waiting to see what sort of re-determination of disability I wind up with from developing Type-2 diabetes (presumptive service connection from Agent Orange exposure back in the Vietnam years and I'm at 50% for screwed up knees at this point) - the amount of extra money will have something to do with what i decide to spend. 10% increase (to 60%) would be a couple of hundred bucks. 20% increase would be a bit over $450 more. A possible (but I would judge unlikely from what our VSO tells me) to 100% would be around $1750 extra. A month. And of course, back award to date of request for re-determination... Financially, I wouldn't mind being 100% disabled, service-connected. It would definitely make the current recession easier to deal with...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
clyde: i just can't believe that the government is several trillion into these "bail outs" and the begging for HELP list just keeps getting LONGER! good luck on your disability stuff with the GOVERNMENT.. they are BANKRUPT imho!:eek:

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
105,301 Posts
Once one asked for money and received it, everybody else started getting into line and probably will get money. Look at what happend when one company ws turned down. The gov't may not want that type of reaction again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.