Gunboards Forums banner

What's it worth? - looking at a '43 Sako M39

3K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  GaryCCR 
#1 · (Edited)
Need input on an acceptable price to pay for a Sako M39. Seller says bolt and floor-plate #'s match. It comes with a sling and hard-case. Hex receiver with a scrubbed tang.

What's it worth?

I asked if they would include the blanket, they said no. :(

See less See more
#3 ·
Definitely worth $350+ IMO. I think it's likely a factory original wartime m/39 (other than wear and an import mark) that's still in good shape. Most wartime m/39's aren't in this good of condition and most no longer have their matching magazine floorplates. I'm not sure about what you're interested in collecting, but there are a lot of post-war refurbished rifles out there that might look prettier, but they aren't nearly as good of Finnish WW2 pieces as this rifle. Also, m/39 prices have been increasing lately and $350 isn't a lot of money for an m/39 anymore.

#5 ·
I'd pick it up,this is one of those rifles that the photos taken do not do justice to. I paid $375 for my all matching war time Sako a year ago. If the bore is exellent,run with it and post some proper photos. If your not happy,keep it for a year or two and still make money (with the way the prices are going on these rifles) Sako/war time stock is a must own Finn....Larry

#8 ·
Hey neighba' Gary. Looks good to me. Rifle hasn't been reworked and has a wartime stock with the SAKO cartouche. Stock and metal have similar patina and wear. I'd consider that an original as manufactured rifle by SAKO. Can't prove that since stocks weren't serialized, but a replacement stock wouldn't have a cartouche. You are good to go for the price, and as mentioned, a local deal, no shipping money.

Good deal if the bore and crown are very good or better, usually the case with M39's. Very accurate rifles. Good luck!

Lancebear

#10 ·
Hmm, pics look vaguely familiar.
Too bad it's not a local sale for you.

I was looking at the same one, but just picked up a '42 SKY M39 last week so I guess I'll let you have it.
If you get it for the price you're asking about, I'd consider that a good deal.

#11 ·
Your first one and found a nice one. 43s are lower than 44 and at 350 nice and you can sell much more in a year or two--check the bore before anything.

#12 ·
If it didn't have the sling and case, I'd say that rifle isn't worth $350. That stock looks beat to hell. The bluing looks good. You can get a nicer rifle from PB for only a little more, albeit without the sling and case and with a shipping charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Yep, its my opinion. Just like you posted yours.. which is frankly incorrect; and i am not sure what its based on. Perhaps in your area more pretty rifles are worth more.. i get that.. but in the grand scheme of things a nice war time sako unrefurbished is usually worth more than a refurbed m39 in a replacement stock.

The stock has its original finish, unsanded, unmolested. Which is growing increasingly difficult to find as the days go by; especially in a Sako war time stock. The rifle has a pleasant patina; and a beautiful look. Thats a 400-450 rifle all day long.

I know 9/10 here would not hesitate to pull the trigger on that rifle if it was posted on the trader, my self included for the asking price 350.. same folks wouldn't be insulted if it was posted for 425.

On a another note.. I am still Not sure how a couple of dings in the stock is considered "beat up".

#17 ·
Yep, its my opinion. Just like you posted yours.. which is frankly incorrect; and i am not sure what its based on. Perhaps in your area more pretty rifles are worth more.. i get that.. but in the grand scheme of things a nice war time sako unrefurbished is usually worth more than a refurbed m39 in a replacement stock.

The stock has its original finish, unsanded, unmolested. Which is growing increasingly difficult to find as the days go by; especially in a Sako war time stock. The rifle has a pleasant patina. Thats a 400-450 rifle all day long.

I know 9/10 here would not hesitate to pull the trigger on that rifle if it was posted on the trader, my self included.

On a another note.. I am still Not sure how a couple of dings in the stock is considered "beat up".
How can an opinion be incorrect? I said it's not for me. I like nice wartime stocks. I wouldn't buy an M39 with a beat up stock. That's not an incorrect opinion. That's MY opinion and it is correct - for me. If you like stocks that show character, great. To each his own.

#16 ·
I would love to have that rifle at that price. I paid that much for a '44 with a postwar stock in similar condition and am happy with it. I have paid more than that for my other M39s (some a LOT more) because I don't think they were messed with. The OP rifle here was issued and used, but was definitely not abused. If it has a decent bore, that's a really good deal in today's market - specially with the opportunity to inspect it before paying for it. (Plus no shipping charges, lol.)

#18 · (Edited)
Exactly my thoughts.

How can an opinion be incorrect? I said it's not for me. I like nice wartime stocks. I wouldn't buy an M39 with a beat up stock. That's not an incorrect opinion. That's MY opinion and it is correct - for me. If you like stocks that show character, great. To each his own.

Sorry, perhaps using the word opinion was a mistake on my part. Apologies

Ok, let me revise my statement.

Your evaluation of the rifle is incorrect. I understand that you have a personal preference. But It is on a tangent from what the actual market is so the value assessment is incorrect. The rifle in the OP is worth more than the rifles that we commonly see - like the ones vtx posted. The rifle is in a wartime sako stock; on a correct era sako; that is not been refreshed or refurbished by the Finnish. Thus its worth more than a pretty replacement (speaking of stocks here; complete unissued rifles are a different manner). So because of this; this evaluation has nothing to do about my preference for character.. that's just how the market it.

So yes, to each their own.. but when one is evaluating a rifle for somebody based on the market.. ones personal aesthetic preferences does not matter since you are not the one buying said rifle; but valuing it based on the market.

For example i do not have much desirability of owning a type 53. However i am not going to evulate a rifle that someone asks based on my personal preferences. Would i pay $100 for an all matching type 53 - yes. Would i pay 200; or more? NO! But they are relatively uncommon and worth more so i would evaluate it based on market and not by my disinterest in them.

On a final note:

Pats are a special case because she purchased 20k of them and can price them lower then market to move them. But if you have watched pats; many a time there is a rifle more "beatup" then the ops that usually is a correct sako priced much higher than the common m39s with thier replaced stocks.

#19 ·
Spax, I'm not an idiot. I have 3 M39s. Two 1944 Sakos and 1 1942 Sk.Y. All in wartime stocks, unrefurbed. 2 of the stocks are pristine, one not so much. One is in unissued condition. I know what the market for these rifles is. I know what people pay for these. I know that many people like a well-used stock. I also know many people like nice stocks. I fall into the latter camp. Value is completely subjective.

#20 · (Edited)
Spax, I'm not an idiot. I have 3 M39s. Two 1944 Sakos and 1 1942 Sk.Y. All in wartime stocks, unrefurbed. 2 of the stocks are pristine, one not so much. One is in unissued condition. I know what the market for these rifles is. I know what people pay for these. I know that many people like a well-used stock. I also know many people like nice stocks. I fall into the latter camp. Value is completely subjective.

Not suggesting that you are in idiot sir; i just disagree with your assment; no hard feelings either way; we are just chatting about a rifle and its value.

Do you have any pictures of your 1944 Sakos and their stocks? I am Just curious.

Given the posts before our comments by the other members here; i believe my point was pretty much made before i commented on your original post - every collector / enthusiast here stated that this rifle is well worth 350 or more. It is a correct Sako, 1943 (which is more uncommon than a 44), in its correct stock. Wartime doesn't matter as much.. but a wartime sako in a correct era sako to match the look.. thats where the value is. Look on Pats.. every sako other than the $400+ is on a incorrect stock for the same price or more than the ops.

Also i know of those type of folks you are speaking of. The ones that must have every firearm that they own purdy and a glazed donut. I do not include them in the value assessment; because they rarely bring the money. I always consider the value to the collector first; because 9/10 times that is where the real money comes from. The value and future value for this particular rifle is from its originality and correctness; from what i can tell this rifle has it in spades.

For example - preferred glazed donut purdy mac charlie - wouldn't put almost 7 bills on this m39 just because it has an unusual name.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=402305420

So really its a moot point.. A $350 OTD for any m39 right now is a good price. The days of them being 220-250 are over.

SO op whats the latest?

#21 ·
No hard feeling at all. That's the beauty of our obsession. Each of us gets to choose what we like and how much we want to pay. I didn't say that the OP's rifle is terrible. I just think - and this my personal view - that for $50 more he could have a 1944 Sako in 80%+ condition on a nice wartime stock. I don't know that anyone asked him what his interests are - does he want a petty rifle, does he want one with character, etc.

#24 · (Edited)
It seems like most people have no clue what a wartime configuration m/28-30 or m/39 looks like, so the prettier post WW2 ones historically often didn't sell for all that much less (sometimes more even). Usually people would think that a freshly post-war refurbished m/39 is 100% factory original and fresh, mostly because the information out there about what to look for original ones isn't common knowledge and all that easy to access. This is beginning to change as the more original m/39's are starting to bring high prices on gun broker, and I think this trend will continue. This has been the case with most WW2 rifles, once they start getting popular, the ones closest to as-WW2-used condition/configuration demand far more money even if they aren't as pretty.

Going along with the fact that what constitutes original on Finnish Mosins doesn't seem to be common knowledge: I am HIGHLY skeptical of anyone I don't know claiming original finish, parts, etc. for any rifle without seeing the right pictures of it first. For a wartime SAKO m/39 to have original finish and parts, the bluing should be fine, the rear sight base rails and muzzle should be left in-the-white, the front sight adjustment screws should be strawed, the bolt should be matched on top of it's knob, the floorplate should be matched (line out and restamp is still correct I believe), the stock should have the SAKO gear logo if an Army contract rifle or the CG crest and date if a CG contract rifle, and the stock finish should be the dark stained linseed oil finish (thanks to Finnish members for sorting this detail out).

Basically, OP's rifle in question is definitely worth more than $350 and I also think it is a better investment than most m/39's and also a more collectable piece in a lot of respects than most other
m/39's too.

edit: It doesn't seem like OP's rifle in question has all that much wear anyway, just a some finish wear on the barrel shank. It looks like it's in pretty nice condition, especially for a wartime piece. Finding it's equal or better is doable, but would take time, and he'd likely have to pay significantly more than $350 for it unless he gets lucky again.

Attachments

#25 ·
Congrats Gary, I see you got the rifle for a couple bucks under $350.

Good job indeed.
I had every intention of bidding on that rifle, have had it on my watch list for a few days, but I already have a few and after I read this thread decided not to.

Again, looked good enough for me that I was going to bid, never mind the naysayers, IMO you did good.

#26 ·
Did you end up buying it? If you keep looking, you can find M39s with better finish on the metal. It may take a while and cost you more but you have to consider the resale value when you buy a rifle like that. From what little we could see in the pictures, it looked like a 70% rifle.

#28 · (Edited)
In my post above yours, you can see where I congratulated him on winning the auction for a couple bucks less that $350.
Yes he won it, and most here feel he got a fair deal.

I just bought these the other day:

Reading some of the replies here, seems some of you guys would have tossed them in the trash.

IMO, GaryCCR got a fair price on an honest gun.

#36 ·
Be sure to use Naval Jelly to stop the rust before painting, and 100 grit sandpaper will really cut through all those dents on

the wood. when you get it all sanded down, order a black plastic stock for them after you save up your money. Or if you send me that really heavy Roman coin, I'll buy one for you. :thumbsup:

#37 ·
LOL. Will do, I'm thinking archangel stock on it, and some stainless steel duracoat for good measure. A few tactical rails here and there, a couple lazers, a bipod or two, a monopod, a high power Wal-Mart scope, a super-ultra-tactical-black-silent one-point sling, and then probably a blessing at the mall-ninja dojo.

That's all joking of course I'll enjoy it as it; wear, ding, dents and all. :) Thanks again guys. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.