Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
3,822 Posts
No hard feeling at all. That's the beauty of our obsession. Each of us gets to choose what we like and how much we want to pay. I didn't say that the OP's rifle is terrible. I just think - and this my personal view - that for $50 more he could have a 1944 Sako in 80%+ condition on a nice wartime stock. I don't know that anyone asked him what his interests are - does he want a petty rifle, does he want one with character, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,285 Posts
It seems like most people have no clue what a wartime configuration m/28-30 or m/39 looks like, so the prettier post WW2 ones historically often didn't sell for all that much less (sometimes more even). Usually people would think that a freshly post-war refurbished m/39 is 100% factory original and fresh, mostly because the information out there about what to look for original ones isn't common knowledge and all that easy to access. This is beginning to change as the more original m/39's are starting to bring high prices on gun broker, and I think this trend will continue. This has been the case with most WW2 rifles, once they start getting popular, the ones closest to as-WW2-used condition/configuration demand far more money even if they aren't as pretty.

Going along with the fact that what constitutes original on Finnish Mosins doesn't seem to be common knowledge: I am HIGHLY skeptical of anyone I don't know claiming original finish, parts, etc. for any rifle without seeing the right pictures of it first. For a wartime SAKO m/39 to have original finish and parts, the bluing should be fine, the rear sight base rails and muzzle should be left in-the-white, the front sight adjustment screws should be strawed, the bolt should be matched on top of it's knob, the floorplate should be matched (line out and restamp is still correct I believe), the stock should have the SAKO gear logo if an Army contract rifle or the CG crest and date if a CG contract rifle, and the stock finish should be the dark stained linseed oil finish (thanks to Finnish members for sorting this detail out).

Basically, OP's rifle in question is definitely worth more than $350 and I also think it is a better investment than most m/39's and also a more collectable piece in a lot of respects than most other
m/39's too.

edit: It doesn't seem like OP's rifle in question has all that much wear anyway, just a some finish wear on the barrel shank. It looks like it's in pretty nice condition, especially for a wartime piece. Finding it's equal or better is doable, but would take time, and he'd likely have to pay significantly more than $350 for it unless he gets lucky again.

Attachments

· Registered
3,762 Posts
Congrats Gary, I see you got the rifle for a couple bucks under $350.

Good job indeed.
I had every intention of bidding on that rifle, have had it on my watch list for a few days, but I already have a few and after I read this thread decided not to.

Again, looked good enough for me that I was going to bid, never mind the naysayers, IMO you did good.

· Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
Did you end up buying it? If you keep looking, you can find M39s with better finish on the metal. It may take a while and cost you more but you have to consider the resale value when you buy a rifle like that. From what little we could see in the pictures, it looked like a 70% rifle.

· Registered
3,762 Posts
Did you end up buying it? If you keep looking, you can find M39s with better finish on the metal. It may take a while and cost you more but you have to consider the resale value when you buy a rifle like that. From what little we could see in the pictures, it looked like a 70% rifle.
In my post above yours, you can see where I congratulated him on winning the auction for a couple bucks less that $350.
Yes he won it, and most here feel he got a fair deal.

I just bought these the other day:

Reading some of the replies here, seems some of you guys would have tossed them in the trash.

IMO, GaryCCR got a fair price on an honest gun.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Reading some of the replies here, seems some of you guys would have tossed them in the trash.
BTW, I paid $50 each.

That's a smokin' deal there! Beautiful rifles.

Also, thanks to those who have good eyes and let this one slide. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to getting it in, and I'll post pics soon as it comes it. I'm excited about this one!

· Registered
3,938 Posts
In my post above yours, you can see where I congratulated him on winning the auction for a couple bucks less that $350.
Yes he won it, and most here feel he got a fair deal.

I just bought these the other day:

BTW, I paid $50 each.

Don't worry. for only about $25 you can get this. :barf:

Product Material property Font Paint Liquid

· Registered
3,822 Posts
Good point.
So, I've looked at the pics now that I'm sitting in front of my computer (rather than my phone), and I'll admit it when I'm wrong. For some reason, the stock looked very beat up on my phone - I think it's because the pics aren't that great to begin with. When viewed from the computer, they look good and I think $350 is a good deal.

· Registered
3,938 Posts
So, I've looked at the pics now that I'm sitting in front of my computer (rather than my phone), and I'll admit it when I'm wrong. For some reason, the stock looked very beat up on my phone - I think it's because the pics aren't that great to begin with. When viewed from the computer, they look good and I think $350 is a good deal.
A first! This admission is refreshing!!! I have a smart phone, and I have basically stopped using it for this and other collector sites because I have a hard time seeing details on photos on it. It could go the other way too and let you buy something you shouldn't because details on the photos are too small for me to see.

So we're all in agreement and should have bid up that M39, lol. Gary is lucky that we are all gentlemen here!
:laugh:

· Registered
17,777 Posts
No worries Abulg. I was thinking "boy this guy is really picky when it comes to a stock", so your explanation makes much more sense now.

Agreed, the pictures are not the best and i can see how you could think the stock was rougher than it really is on a smaller device. Ive been there and done that my self of my phone; which i know avoid using if i am evulating anything seriously.

· Registered
3,762 Posts
A first! This admission is refreshing!!! I have a smart phone, and I have basically stopped using it for this and other collector sites because I have a hard time seeing details on photos on it. It could go the other way too and let you buy something you shouldn't because details on the photos are too small for me to see.

So we're all in agreement and should have bid up that M39, lol. Gary is lucky that we are all gentlemen here!
:laugh:
Honestly, If Gary hadn't posted that, I was going to bid, no way was I going to let that auction expire with no bid when it was such a deal IMO.

So if the guy that I forced to pay $157 + $15 shipping for the M91 stock on ebay that was wrongly listed as a 91/30 reads this, next time post about it and I won't make you pay so much.
;)

· Registered
3,938 Posts
Be sure to use Naval Jelly to stop the rust before painting, and 100 grit sandpaper will really cut through all those dents on

the wood. when you get it all sanded down, order a black plastic stock for them after you save up your money. Or if you send me that really heavy Roman coin, I'll buy one for you. :thumbsup:

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Be sure to use Naval Jelly to stop the rust before painting, and 100 grit sandpaper will really cut through all those dents on

the wood. when you get it all sanded down, order a black plastic stock for them after you save up your money. Or if you send me that really heavy Roman coin, I'll buy one for you. :thumbsup:
LOL. Will do, I'm thinking archangel stock on it, and some stainless steel duracoat for good measure. A few tactical rails here and there, a couple lazers, a bipod or two, a monopod, a high power Wal-Mart scope, a super-ultra-tactical-black-silent one-point sling, and then probably a blessing at the mall-ninja dojo.

That's all joking of course I'll enjoy it as it; wear, ding, dents and all. :) Thanks again guys. :thumbsup:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.