Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Definitely worth $350+ IMO. I think it's likely a factory original wartime m/39 (other than wear and an import mark) that's still in good shape. Most wartime m/39's aren't in this good of condition and most no longer have their matching magazine floorplates. I'm not sure about what you're interested in collecting, but there are a lot of post-war refurbished rifles out there that might look prettier, but they aren't nearly as good of Finnish WW2 pieces as this rifle. Also, m/39 prices have been increasing lately and $350 isn't a lot of money for an m/39 anymore.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
It seems like most people have no clue what a wartime configuration m/28-30 or m/39 looks like, so the prettier post WW2 ones historically often didn't sell for all that much less (sometimes more even). Usually people would think that a freshly post-war refurbished m/39 is 100% factory original and fresh, mostly because the information out there about what to look for original ones isn't common knowledge and all that easy to access. This is beginning to change as the more original m/39's are starting to bring high prices on gun broker, and I think this trend will continue. This has been the case with most WW2 rifles, once they start getting popular, the ones closest to as-WW2-used condition/configuration demand far more money even if they aren't as pretty.

Going along with the fact that what constitutes original on Finnish Mosins doesn't seem to be common knowledge: I am HIGHLY skeptical of anyone I don't know claiming original finish, parts, etc. for any rifle without seeing the right pictures of it first. For a wartime SAKO m/39 to have original finish and parts, the bluing should be fine, the rear sight base rails and muzzle should be left in-the-white, the front sight adjustment screws should be strawed, the bolt should be matched on top of it's knob, the floorplate should be matched (line out and restamp is still correct I believe), the stock should have the SAKO gear logo if an Army contract rifle or the CG crest and date if a CG contract rifle, and the stock finish should be the dark stained linseed oil finish (thanks to Finnish members for sorting this detail out).

Basically, OP's rifle in question is definitely worth more than $350 and I also think it is a better investment than most m/39's and also a more collectable piece in a lot of respects than most other
m/39's too.

edit: It doesn't seem like OP's rifle in question has all that much wear anyway, just a some finish wear on the barrel shank. It looks like it's in pretty nice condition, especially for a wartime piece. Finding it's equal or better is doable, but would take time, and he'd likely have to pay significantly more than $350 for it unless he gets lucky again.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.