Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,822 Posts
If it didn't have the sling and case, I'd say that rifle isn't worth $350. That stock looks beat to hell. The bluing looks good. You can get a nicer rifle from PB for only a little more, albeit without the sling and case and with a shipping charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,822 Posts
stock looks perfectly fine. Its a wartime stock - they are suppose to have some marks - they were issued.
That's your opinion. I know that many many people like - and seek - a beat up stock, but that's not for me. All of my M39s have wartime stocks in very nice condition and that's what I like.

· Registered
3,822 Posts
Yep, its my opinion. Just like you posted yours.. which is frankly incorrect; and i am not sure what its based on. Perhaps in your area more pretty rifles are worth more.. i get that.. but in the grand scheme of things a nice war time sako unrefurbished is usually worth more than a refurbed m39 in a replacement stock.

The stock has its original finish, unsanded, unmolested. Which is growing increasingly difficult to find as the days go by; especially in a Sako war time stock. The rifle has a pleasant patina. Thats a 400-450 rifle all day long.

I know 9/10 here would not hesitate to pull the trigger on that rifle if it was posted on the trader, my self included.

On a another note.. I am still Not sure how a couple of dings in the stock is considered "beat up".
How can an opinion be incorrect? I said it's not for me. I like nice wartime stocks. I wouldn't buy an M39 with a beat up stock. That's not an incorrect opinion. That's MY opinion and it is correct - for me. If you like stocks that show character, great. To each his own.

· Registered
3,822 Posts
Spax, I'm not an idiot. I have 3 M39s. Two 1944 Sakos and 1 1942 Sk.Y. All in wartime stocks, unrefurbed. 2 of the stocks are pristine, one not so much. One is in unissued condition. I know what the market for these rifles is. I know what people pay for these. I know that many people like a well-used stock. I also know many people like nice stocks. I fall into the latter camp. Value is completely subjective.

· Registered
3,822 Posts
No hard feeling at all. That's the beauty of our obsession. Each of us gets to choose what we like and how much we want to pay. I didn't say that the OP's rifle is terrible. I just think - and this my personal view - that for $50 more he could have a 1944 Sako in 80%+ condition on a nice wartime stock. I don't know that anyone asked him what his interests are - does he want a petty rifle, does he want one with character, etc.

· Registered
3,822 Posts
Good point.
So, I've looked at the pics now that I'm sitting in front of my computer (rather than my phone), and I'll admit it when I'm wrong. For some reason, the stock looked very beat up on my phone - I think it's because the pics aren't that great to begin with. When viewed from the computer, they look good and I think $350 is a good deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.