Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(...and it's not Spam! :rolleyes: )
From some other sources, I've been able to speculate on the following interpretations, almost certainly Russian (if the "T" is for Tula), but still can't determine the exact cartridge, i.e., rifle or pistol:

7.62 ЦГЛ (?GL = brass case?) (Ц, pronounced "ts")
Production date: ?NOV 1971? ("11 - 71")
ПСР ( = PSR) 12.4
Bullet type ВTЦ "VTx" (x = Ц, pronounced "ts")
Lot = 1 of 70
Factory = Tula

Reactions: daveccarlson

·
Administrator
12,041 Posts
Ц ГЛ = целевые, гильза латунная = target (precision), brass case

The rest are propellant type, lot, year and factory code.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I wonder if the spam-can bullets are boat-tail? Do you know if it's boxed or wrapped in little paper bundles? Berdan corrosive/non-corrosive, or Boxer primed? BTW: I found it lurking way in the back of one of my ammo shelves. I know I've had it at least ten years+.
Yes, selling the spam-can. I have lots of other very nice 7.62x54r (photos below). The white box ammo (04 JMS 02) is boat-tail, Boxer-primed; don't know anything about the blue-and-white box ammo.

But not sure how to describe this spam can stuff. Maybe something like:
"240 rounds 7.62x54r brass-cased match ammo produced in 1971 by LVE factory (Novosibirsk Cartridge Plant) in original sealed spam-type can). Stored in air-conditioned comfort."

·
Gold Bullet member
13,877 Posts
Blue box is Target as Nick points out, yellow is Match. Good ammo but not as good as Match. I would love to have it.

IIRC, the Target is rated less than 12 cm, usually 9-12 but occasionally even better. Match is typically rated 6-9 cm. That is 6-9 cm, 20 shots at 300 meters. The Russians won international matches using Match ammo.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blue box is Target as Nick points out, yellow is Match. Good ammo but not as good as Match. I would love to have it.
IIRC, the Target is rated less than 12 cm, usually 9-12 but occasionally even better. Match is typically rated 6-9 cm. That is 6-9 cm, 20 shots at 300 meters. The Russians won international matches using Match ammo.
It isn't clear to me what color are the boxes inside this unopened can. I guess it would be either blue/Target or yellow/Match, right? How to determine color without opening the can? When I figure that out, I'll PM you with a price before posting on gun broker. If nothing else, I would finally try to open the can to find out (although I don't have the required 'can opener').

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found this photo on Sportsman's Guide (currently sold out); ...definitely the match grade. This can looks almost exactly the same as mine, although just slightly different enough to be unable to state conclusively that it's the same configuration as my can's contents.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Your can and contents will be different at least in language and packaging...
The SG ammo is labeled in German and was from a shipment to E Germany.

·
Diamond Bullet Member and the Revered Sir Jim
46,155 Posts
I am so tempted to play the Monty Python skit "Spam."

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,910 Posts
The can lacks some of the markings that you see on the cans of the yellow box match ammo, the blue box extra ammo, and the brown box ammo. Maybe it's just regular 7.62x54r ammo but packed in the commercial style boxes?

·
Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords
514 Posts
Isn’t the 12,4 marking on the can the accuracy Mike discussed above (....”the Target is rated less than 12 cm, usually 9-12 but occasionally even better. Match is typically rated 6-9 cm. That is 6-9 cm, 20 shots at 300 meters.”)? I have several crates of it with similar markings, but not stored near me at this time.

IIRC, that number is also sometimes stamped on each end of the spam can.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
7.62 ЦГЛ
Целевой = target
Г = (unknown abbreviation, possibly государственный стандарт "Government Standard"))
Латунь = brass
ПСР ( = PSR) 12.4 ???
Lot = 1 of 70

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,910 Posts
7.62 ЦГЛ
Целевой = target
Г = (unknown abbreviation, possibly государственный стандарт "Government Standard"))
Латунь = brass
ПСР ( = PSR) 12.4 ???
Lot = 1 of 70
I think the "70" under the "1" is for 1970, the year when the propellant was produced. 1 is the lot number and "T" is the source for the powder.

And I suspect the "11" is the lot number for the for cartridge production in 1971.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A little deductive reasoning... tells me it's either Target or Match.
The unopened can weighs 16¼ lbs. A single full box of 20 rounds of this example ammo in photo (blue box I have on hand; don't know if it came from another "can") weighs 1¼ lbs.
So: 240 rounds = 12 boxes (IF same type ammo). Therefore 12 boxes = 15 lbs. Allowing just over a pound for the emptied spam can, it is logically possible to conditionally deduce this would be as speculated, i.e., 240 rounds/12 boxes of 7.6sx54R, twenty rounds per box, either Target or Match quality production, which would be either blue or yellow boxes, but from the box labels in photo, I can't tell which is which.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
The yellow box match has a heavier bullet (200gr vs 182) ...how much extra weigt is that? 7000grns = 1 pound, right?
but I think only German label tins were imported with the 200grn match

·
Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords
514 Posts
A little deductive reasoning... tells me it's either Target or Match.
I was lucky enough to purchase many crates of this ammo when it was available. My guess (and trust me, I'm wrong my fair share) is that it is Target, based on ПСР ( = PSR) 12.4.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts