Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the immense pleasure of visiting the Lithgow Small Arms Museum on the weekend and admiring some of the neat stuff in their collection (Pratt & Whitney manufactured SMLE, anyone?), but noticed that most of the handguns had been removed because of some issues with the NSW Firearms Registry, apparently relating to the Ron Hayes donation.

I'm assured it's just a paperwork thing and it will be all sorted out very shortly, but it did leave one wall of the display room a wee bit bare (save for some percussion handguns). Still, otherwise it was a fascinating museum, and one that deserves a lot more publicity than it receives...

Interesting to note the names of the streets surrounding the factory, too- Rifle Pde, Martini Pde, Bayonet St, etc... :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Politics and handguns always seem to be a hot topic.
IMHO - If the laws would punish criminals instead of "rehabilitating" them , there wouldn't be so much paranoia of handguns ( or any guns in general ).

The only museum around here displays James Lee's first proto type magazined rifle and other specimens from the LeeMetford to a '50's Longranch and a few inbetween.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
You want a REAL example of shite for brains? I was told that the revolver Teddy Roosevelt carried in the Spanish American war, (including that famous charge) has been DEACTIVATED. (welded shut)
I won't comment on the fact that T.E. Lawrance's SMLE was removed for a time from the display at the IWM "for work" or the WW1 officer's sniper rifle was taken from the Guards Museum to be de-acted!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts