Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up 200 rounds of '06 Springfield for the "old man" (M1). 1 box of Winchester and 9 boxes of Prvi Partisan. The Winchester I'm a little worried about being a "hot" load, but it's only 20 rounds, I'm pretty sure the old man can take that. The Prvi, though, I have no experience with. It looks to be brand new production, brass is clean and shiny. Boxes don't appear to be too old. Made in Serbia. Both the Winchester and Prvi are 150 grain, lead nose. I gave $120 for all 10 boxes so as long as it goes 'BOOM' every time I pull the trigger I suppose I did OK. I just got this mainly to target shoot since surplus Garand ammo is getting scarce and I like to shoot the old man from time to time.
So anything I should be worried about with Prvi? Comments? Opinions?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
don't know about non-military surplus out of the Garand, but Prvi is good stuff! Well worth the $12/box

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,498 Posts
Prvi makes great ammo, but I would not risk shooting any ammo not specifically made for the gas system of the M1.
I agree. Prvi makes good stuff. The M1 is a good rifle but picky about what you feed it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have had mostly good results with Privi except the 6.5X55 Mauser ammo, 139 gr FMJ. It shoots groups 2 times larger then the Swedish surplus ammo I have. Not impressed at all with the ammo, expected better accuracy. The ammo shoots about 3 moa and was shot from 6 different Swede rifles including CG63's and CG80. It's the ammo.
Ken

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have been through 2k rds of thr privi 193 5.56 and only had 1 bad round, it is top shelf stuff. Do not shoot anything but M2 ball spec ammo thru a Garand, the powder in the M2 rounds have a specific burn rate/ pressure curve and using comercial ammo can cause you to bend your op rod.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Been shootin' Privi since it was Hansen. Best fodder around for military guns, the M1 Garand excepted for the above reason. There IS, however, an adjustable gas port available that addresses this shortcoming; start with the small orifice and increase size til the piece operates reliably I believe is the drill.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've shot several different calibers of it. All seemed pretty good. Some more accurate than others. Unbeatable for the price.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
I love the .308 FMJs as they are really accurate. Bought 7.5 Swiss, .303, 8mm Mauser, -06. Never shot it in a Garand, but I suspect that it may be M2 Ball type specs as the others are all loaded to Military velocities and pressures. Pull one down and examine it. I hear the Carcano is near the lower end of bore diameter, and Hornady Carcano is at the higher...

·
Silver Bullet member
263 Posts
Prvi is pretty much my go-to for surplus calibers when I don't buy surplus ammo properly - never once had a single issue. I would tend to concur on the advice I'm seeing here on the M1 - it needs specially designed ammunition(M2) whether it be hand loaded or surplus. That said, Prvi does make M2 spec projectiles that you can hand load...

Also, don't forget to pick up your brass - good stuff that.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
I shoot Prvi from my two MASs. It tends to fire low, but is reliable. As it is reloadable, I stick M80 bullets in it with 42.2gr of 2520 and it's point of aim, point of impact.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
696 Posts
I have been using the 139 gr SP in 6.5x55 but only in my CZ 550 American. It consistantly holds -1.5" moa. Have not tried in either of my M96 rifles. Have taken 50 + - hogs with the CZ/Privi combo in the last 2 years with mostly head or neck shots to 225 yds. I have loaded up some rounds using the 1x fired brass for testing with 130 gr Accubonds and 140 Partitions but the accuracy has only been marginally better so far than the factory Privi Partizan. Plenty good enough for hog control considering the price at AIM is $12.95 a box. I cannot load it much cheaper than that with the current cost of components.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts