Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to make up some light loads for my 7mm mauser rolling block. Just for plinking and keeping the pressure low for safety. I have been advised to be careful about going lower than the starting loads in the books. I was told to stay with faster powder if going light.
I am thinking maybe 35 grs IMR 4895 OR IMR 3031 with 150 grain jacketed bullet.
The gun has been checked over and headspaced by a gunsmith, it is the 1897 model.
Any comments?

thanks
jon

·
Registered
241 Posts
Re: 7mm Rolling Block

I once owned an did a lot of shooting with one of these 7mm, however mine was the later 1902 model, this had a better rotary extractor. Do not go below the starting loads, it is quite safe as it is.The only problem you may have is that Rolling Block's were never designed for reloading, the chambers and the neck are very large, at least .010 oversize in the length and in the dia of the neck.If you want to shoot I WOULD NOT use any new or used 7mm mauser cases, they will probably be too short and give you excess headspace.Make cases from 30-06 and DO NOT screw the FL Sizing die and the way down. Keep trying till it goes in the gun. The only problem after this is the stretch of the action when fired, it stretche's a lot like a 1894 Winchester in 30-30, if you know what i mean.After two or three firing's you will have to FL resize the casings, or they will not be able to enter the rifle.Good Luck and have fun.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
Another option would be to look for some cast bullets in 7mm!Your low pressure loads are now basicly limitless. for example 10 grs of unique with just about any normal weight cast bullet and your rifle will last forever and you'll have good accuracy out to 100 yds and no recoil or blast! problem solved!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I like using 10-25gr of BlueDot out of both my M91 and my K31, and they both shoot well with these loads. Cast would probably work better with loads below 15gr, but the higher end of the range can handle jacketed bullets well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts