Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like all the 455s (shaved or unshaved) are going well over $1000 now, I was hoping to hold out to find one around 700-800. Am I being unrealistic for 2021?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I think if you shop hard you can find a shaved to 45 acp in the 800's range. I got mine this year in that range. A good clean example. Call it 800 to 900. From a dealer. That is only 10 to 15% over your goal. This dealer is pretty fair, not low or high IMHO. There is a seller on Gun Broker who has 3 initials. He has a well heeled following. Ignore those prices.

The 38/200 WWII version is about 1/2 price and a kinda cool gun to compliment the big brother. I dont have one, but; I might not mind some day.

·
Registered
982 Posts
A Mk IV .38 was the first Webley I bought, back when they were about $250. Based only on the example I have (War Finish, used later by the Israelis), the Mk I-VI are all made to a FAR higher standard, but then Webley admitted as much too.

I've been out of the market for some time; I believe I completed my collection around 2015 or so, and even then prices were creeping above $1000 for nice examples. Most of mine are shaved, and came in between $600 and $800 IIRC. In this day and age, I think I'd be a bit surprised to find a nice .455 Webley under 1k, and I'd be outright suspicious to find an unshaved one under about $1400 or so.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Very neat WG. And steeple flutes. Nice. Found this one [shaved] in a gunshop for 450.00 years ago but the timing was way off. I swapped in a spare uncut cylinder which helped but another newer pawl from a gentleman in Britain tightened it up 100%. To the op, make sure your lockup is good on whatever you find. With the trigger held back and hammer lowered there should be very little cylinder rotation, ideally none. Good luck.
Sleeve Air gun Grey Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
962 Posts
Keep searching. I found this by accident in a pawn shop last year for $280 at the door. Unshaved factory nickel WG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good Lord man, that's an occurrence practically unheard of what w/the internet and all these days. WGs are commanding primo prices currently...$2.5-3k
Years ago I picked up a pristine Adam's Model III for $250 at a gun show that was deemed: "a useless old foreign gun" and felt like I'd stolen it.
Here's my WGs and it'd take alot of financial prying to get 'em outta my hands as of today!!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
oberon 320,
What fourbore & 2P Steel 6 have said is the gospel.
I monitor Webley sales daily and the market is crazy up on these old, formerly denigrated, warhorses.
People laughed at me when I started collecting in the early 80s but I preserved; amassing over 70.
My gunsmith tells me, after 30yrs of good natured ribbing, that I have: "the finest collection of ugly guns he's ever seen!"
Here's a few of 'em from a show in 2016.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,187 Posts
Good Lord man, that's an occurrence practically unheard of what w/the internet and all these days. WGs are commanding primo prices currently...$2.5-3k
The guy I bought this from has a hole in the wall shop in a very small town. He is a farmer who does not use the Internet and his gun shop is a side hobby. He’s had this gun for about 15 years with a box full of other old guns that were in his back room. On the same day I bought a German LP42 flare gun and two US Remington MkII and Mk III flare guns for $500.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The guy I bought this from has a hole in the wall shop in a very small town. He is a farmer who does not use the Internet and his gun shop is a side hobby. He’s had this gun for about 15 years with a box full of other old guns that were in his back room. On the same day I bought a German LP42 flare gun and two US Remington MkII and Mk III flare guns for $500.

Did you at least have the temerity to wear a mask?? That WG is a $2k gun all day AND night long
You ougha at least go back and give 'im a C note just for karma's sake and because it's the decent thing to do!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
People don’t do their homework sometimes. Found this 1896 Krag rifle IN cosmo at the Md Military show in 2019 for 650.00. It was so nasty that it was listed as an 1898 on the tag. It was on the overflow table of a huge seller along with his junky sanded stock Krags. All his pristine stuff was on his main display tables. The more I carried it around that day the cleaner it got and the cartouches and sharp edges became visible. I had looked at it, put it back down, sold some bullet moulds but then went back. Still there and in fact it was marked 695.00, offered 650.00 and the guy said sure. Love the bright blue extractor. It also had an oiler and cleaning rod in the butt.
Wood Track Plant Railway Hardwood

Plant Wood Automotive tire Grass Automotive exterior

Door Wood Wood stain Plank Hardwood

Writing implement Office supplies Wood Writing instrument accessory Tints and shades

Air gun Wood Trigger Plant Shotgun

Office supplies Wood Writing implement Bicycle part Pen
Brown Wood Gas Font Tints and shades

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
It seems like all the 455s (shaved or unshaved) are going well over $1000 now, I was hoping to hold out to find one around 700-800. Am I being unrealistic for 2021?
There are two Webley Mk VI on Gun Broker right now with Buy-It-Now priced under $1000. And these days GB is one of the worse places to try and buy anything! Anything! This maybe contrary to what has been posted. This is 10% more than I paid. I did the legwork in my retirement and found one locally. No big difference with $50 for a tank of gas, the difference is two fill ups. I am on my way out this morning to burn off another tank full!

·
Registered
962 Posts
There are two Webley Mk VI on Gun Broker right now with Buy-It-Now priced under $1000. And these days GB is one of the worse places to try and buy anything! Anything! This maybe contrary to what has been posted. This is 10% more than I paid. I did the legwork in my retirement and found one locally. No big difference with $50 for a tank of gas, the difference is two fill ups. I am on my way out this morning to burn off another tank full!

The example you cite, if you notice, is not selling either! This the 2nd or 3rd time the seller has posted this particular gun. As you point out GB prices are ridiculous right now and maybe buyers are savvy enough not to fall into the must have/buying frenzy!!
I agree w/you about shopping around I scoured the net and traveled if necessary to obtain a gun, especially on my limited (at the time)budget!

·
Registered
982 Posts

I’d argue that that gun in that auction is not in the kind of shape a collector would want. Whatever got ground off the RH side of the piece kills its condition.

Back when I was in the market, I’d have expected that piece to sell for maybe $5-600 or so.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
etwmsjr, sorry for getting off topic. Just pointing out that there are still deals still out there if you look and when a seller doesn’t do his homework. This was my last Webley, a 4 inch, uncut .455 MkVI. Bought it this year for 1400.00. Figured it was worth the premium as it was still .455 and the rarer 4 inch. Nice and tight. Very happy with it. Been wanting a short bbl MkVI to go with my .455 military MkVI. Planning to shoot it at our December cas shoot along with a RNWMP NS.
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Oberon never claim to be a serious collector or aspiring higher end buyer. I though he was just looking for a nice example. Collector grade anything takes a ton of caution and home work. It can suck all the joy out of the whole process if one is not careful. For me, I like to buy an average example and get my feet wet.

Here is another one, 45 acp shaved, looks good to me. Sold $695. I did pay more for a gun that is no better than this.

Did the OP buy this? Or are we just wasting time talking among ourselves here?

Plant Wood Tool Blade Knife

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I am guessing due to the lack of any responce, that the OP posted once and lost interest and never came back? Not a word since.
Could be he doesn't check the forums everyday?
It isn't as though he's a stranger to the site. Maybe he just lost track of this one?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts