Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired another Mosin, a 91/30 with a hex reciever. The date appears to be 1928, but the '2' seems to have been stamped over with an upside down '3'. What is this?

Dutch

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
A picture would be of great assistance.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,870 Posts
Drunk Ivan double hit the 8 is my guess :) I got a 91/30 where the last digit (a 1) is double struck and has a odd "hazy" look to it, I assume double striking or over striking isn't all that uncommon as the questions come around every so often referring to them.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Its just the serifed number 2. Look at the SN. Same thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its just the serifed number 2. Look at the SN. Same thing.
The serial number '2' looks different in natural light, but I see what you mean now. It did not stand out until lit and photo'd. From certain angles the date looks nothing like a '2', but an upside down '3'. I guess it's just one of those things, a slight imperfection in the stamp playing tricks.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I am sure it's a 2, sometimes the angle at which a number is struck if not straight can look weird, i have a a Mosin which has a few 1's anda few 7's in the serial, but on one stamp i cant tell for sure if it's a 1 or a 7 since it looks different from the rest!

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
An upside down three, is still a three. A backward three, is an "E".

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Good god man a really decent digital camera is under a 100.00 now. They tend to have really good basic macro ability as well. And its much safer then juggling cats!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts