Gunboards Forums banner
141 - 160 of 261 Posts
Getting back to the OPs original question:
M1 Garand for primary weapon - Reliable, rugged, excellent sights, and nobody complained the .30 US wasn't dropping their targets!
M1911A1 - Same reasons as above (except abut the sights!).

Those who pick machineguns, think about having to carry ammo! Feeding those beasts equals a LOT of weight! Especially the wonderful MG-42! And, if you have to move quickly with it, you'll need some help! And a rifle squad to provide support.
FG42s are pretty fragile. They had a reputation for not being very durable, especially the stamped 2nd model.
MP44s are fun. But grab that fore-end after 60 rounds rapid fire!!! You won't do it a second time. And when the targets return fire, you will curse that long magazine that won't let you get closer to the ground!
I like SMGs. They are a lot of fun. But if you have to engage past 100 yards, forget it! You're just wasting ammo. That's why they were generally issued to squad leaders, officers, vehicle crews and others who were not expected to shoot except at close range. (Except Soviets, but they were expected to ride their tanks into close range! Not my choice, either!)

Interesting little thought exercise!

Well you have to factor in there is no single best weapon as squads had soldiers carrying different weapons to fulfill specific purposes. But in WW2 cannot dismiss the M1 Garand as the rifle had singlemost and greatest impact, at least in Europe theatre

Rifle - a Garand for its power - an M1 Carbine is my second choice, both chosen because I know them well.
A 1911a1 is around every day

I am a firm believer in what I know is best - but anything good enough for previous generations, would be all right, and I understand the limitations. If I had plenty of ammo, an MP40 or Thompson

If I get to be a young man again, then M1 Garand.

If I have to be the current age I'm at now? Uh...

9mm Model '38 SMG
Or, an M1 carbine
Or, a 9mm Owen gun
Or, a 9mm Erma Maschinenpistole/ MPE
Or, a United Defense 1942 "marlin" 9mm SMG

Pistol:
.38mm Victory revolver
Or, 9mm FB VIS 35
Or, 9mm FN Hipower

If limited to what I have on hand: M1 Garand or M1 carbine....
MP38 over the MP34?

both are good,,,

myself, torn between the 03, M1 or Thompson,

Something a bit different - a French FM24/29. Basically an upside down BAR feeding from a 25 rd top fed (gravity assist) mag in a rifle caliber with .308 equivalent ballistics. Reliable & rugged enough to have served from 1924 (pre dates all Czech ZB and BREN) until finally withdrawn in 2006 (82 years) including service in various between the wars Arab skirmishes, WW2. Indochina and Algeria.
Sidearm? For me - has to be an FN High Power.

141 - 160 of 261 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.