Gunboards Forums banner
81 - 100 of 217 Posts

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,779 Posts
I will go off the rails with a Moschetto Modello 1938 in 6,5x52 mm ... to me it is a simple, easy to use rifle, many do not like Carcano's but to me I can shoot them very well and load them rapidly when needed.
I also would be comfortable with a Fusil a Répétition de 7,5mm Modèle 1936, another simple, easy to use designed rifle.

Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
I think I must have mis-read the question at first. If I'm limited to WWII weapons I gram my Springfield M1 Garand and my 1911 A1 .45 pistol. As a second I'd take up one of my M1 Carbines and a Browing Hi Power. As a third I'd grab my PPsh-43 (in semi auto) and my M 57 both in 7.62x25mm.

·
Site Contributor
1,319 Posts
StG 44 or Suomi M/31. I have only shot StG once, but it felt surprisingly similar to AK, which I am very familiar with and while controls differ they are not that difficult to learn. I am very familiar with Suomi M/31, but nowadays 9 x 19 could be a problematic choice if facing opponents with body armour. In some conditions also PPS-43 would suffice very well considering how handy and light-weight it is.

Preferred pistol would be either FN HP or 1911 - both of them work for the purpose.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,670 Posts
StG 44 or Suomi M/31. I have only shot StG once, but it felt surprisingly similar to AK, which I am very familiar with and while controls differ they are not that difficult to learn. I am very familiar with Suomi M/31, but nowadays 9 x 19 could be a problematic choice if facing opponents with body armour. In some conditions also PPS-43 would suffice very well considering how handy and light-weight it is.

Preferred pistol would be either FN HP or 1911 - both of them work for the purpose.
SMG's in 9x19 obviously have a limitation as JTV mentioned. But the Hungarian Kiraly 43M in
9x25 Mauser with its quasi-locked delayed blowback action could have had a lot of potential with further ammunition development. However, it was not produced or used in significant quantity to be seriously considered here.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,817 Posts
I will go off the rails with a Moschetto Modello 1938 in 6,5x52 mm ... to me it is a simple, easy to use rifle, many do not like Carcano's but to me I can shoot them very well and load them rapidly when needed.
I also would be comfortable with a Fusil a Répétition de 7,5mm Modèle 1936, another simple, easy to use designed rifle.

Patrick
That is interesting Patrick. I just came into owning my first Carcano carbine very recently, a 1938 and I feel it is such a neat little carbine. My problem is that our weather has been horrible and it took a while for my new range membership card to arrive. Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey this weekend so it will be a while yet.

I had actually flirted briefly with the idea of saying that but just can't pass up the Garand. That being said, as far as effectiveness and portability they have possibilities. Enough so that I have another one set aside that will be a project but once done will be pretty nice I suspect.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,670 Posts

as for a WW2 rifle, well 6.5mm is a nicer round than 30-06 and if STG44 was not a choice then a AG42
Re "...well 6.5mm is a nicer round than 30-06." Ain't that the truth! I like the Garand, and I like 6.5x55, so when Criterion made a 6.5x55 barrel for the Garand, I jumped at it.
"Let not to the marriage of true minds admit impediment." W Shakespeare.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,817 Posts
I must have missed that memo. Did Sweden field a Mauser???;);)

Reactions: Pavia

·
Registered
899 Posts
I would not go into battle. I would be 4F,& take care of the women and protect them on the home front! some body has to do it! LOL!
IF it were only that easy...My neighbor who was declared 4-F twice and after a third time being called up, figured it a cinch he'd be turned down again...Even though he was legally blind in one eye, he was taken as Selective Service needed numbers in 1943....His MOS was Carpenter and so he was detailed to building Bailey Bridges....

I would further add, it would be better being an essential worker.....Knew a guy who worked in a foundry and had brothers who were drafted for service....He was upset when he was exempt from serving....Bodes

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,817 Posts
My father worked in the Philadelphia shipyard early in the war. They eventually caught up to him.

Reactions: Edward Tinker
81 - 100 of 217 Posts