Gunboards Forums banner
61 - 80 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
MG 42 is right there if I'm going to war with a will to conquer (vs survive).

But since no one has mentioned it, I'll take a comparable type very much in the same league, the Solothurn MG 30.

Which for actual WWII use means the Hungarian version, Solothurn 31.M Golyószóró in 8x56R.

Air gun Wood Machine gun Trigger Shotgun

A Louis Strange design, FG 42 predecessor and origin of the Luftwaffe's MG 15 and MG 17 aircraft-mounted MGs.

At 21 lbs* it could be a little lighter but not much sleeker - this is Star Wars worthy. Up to 900 rpm.

*per wiki

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
I would prefer getting maybe 300 yards from the closest of the bad guys and then 'go to town' with a No.4 Mk.1(T), or MAYBE a 91-30 PEM, or a PU.

If I HAD to be closer to the front lines, a late production M1 Rifle with M2AP ammunition, all day long. You won't need an adjustable gas valve if all you got in the supply chain is M2AP, M2 , or even ANM2 Ball.

Failing those, a No.1 Mk.III. I am just more comfortable all-around with those open sights over what you get on No.4's.

No way would I have an M1-M2 Carbine. You didn't specify which seasons we would be fighting in, and M1-M2 Carbines were proven to be way less than effective against heavily-dressed troops in Korea.

·
Registered
775 Posts
You guys are hilarious wanting BARs bolt actions, and all that other esoteric and heavy crap. If I'm going to get stuck as a grunt in WWII, it means I'm probably going to get the luxury of walking across Europe. It also means automatics are no longer a curiosity. An M1 carbine with plenty of ammo will do. If I allow myself some more weight, a PPSh-41 again with plenty of ammo, although I'm torn on whether drum magazines are worth the hassle because of the weight.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,223 Posts
As someone wrote earlier, it depends on where you are and what your combat role is. And NO, post-WWII guns and modifications don't qualify.

The soldier does not care about "cool factor" (therein ends any talk about FG42s and similar nonsense); he cares foremost about reliability. Then, ease of handling, killing power, and weight.

If your MOS is machinegunner, and you have a full complement of assistants to carry the ammo, the MG42 is (as someone else noted) the only gun worth discussing. Otherwise, if you have to hump your own ammo, or have just one helper, the Bren and its Czech ancestors, the ZB26 and ZB30, were in a class by themselves. Nothing else was even close, except maybe the Jap T96 and T99.

If you're assigned to carry an SMG, the most prized were the Beretta 38A, the United Defense M'42, the Suomi, and the Russian Suderev PPS43. In the jungle, the Owen.

For the ordinary grunt, the M1 Garand justly earned its place as the best infantry rifle of general issue carried in WWII-- at least until the Sturmgewehr showed up. The Germans intended to make the StG the standard rifle to replace the Mauser 98k, but there were never enough of them for that, or enough ammo to feed them. (When your 30 rounds are gone, then what?)

Pistol: Anybody who prefers anything to an M1911 has never tried to clean mud out of it.

Of course everyone is entitled to his opinion. I have mine, expressed above. If yours is different, it won't bother me at all. I'll just ignore it.

M

·
Registered
244 Posts
Part of the criteria is to carry the gun with you all the time.
A rifle would get very tiresome, so a handgun would be the logical choice, I guess.
My choice is the pistol I carried many a day, the 1911 .45ACP.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Inglis' version of the BHP.

If I'm "taking something into battle," and it's a rifle, it's not going to be anything from WWII. It'll be an L1A1. But the BHP is a classic sidearm.

·
Registered
444 Posts
As someone wrote earlier, its depends on where you are and what your combat role is. And NO, post-WWII guns and modifications don't qualify.

The soldier does not care about "cool factor" (therein ends any talk about FG42s and similar nonsense); he cares foremost about reliability. Then, ease of handling, killing power, and weight.

If your MOS is machinegunner, and you have a full complement of assistants to carry the ammo, the MG42 is (as someone else noted) the only gun worth discussing. Otherwise, if you have to hump your own ammo, or have just one helper, the Bren and its Czech ancestors, the ZB26 and ZB30, were in a class by themselves. Nothing else was even close, except maybe the Jap T96 and T99.

If you're assigned to carry an SMG, the most prized were the Beretta 38A, the United Defense M'42, the Suomi, and the Russian Suderev PPS43. In the jungle, the Owen.

For the ordinary grunt, the M1 Garand justly earned its place as the best infantry rifle of general issue carried in WWII-- at least until the Sturmgewehr showed up. The Germans intended to make the StG the standard rifle to replace the Mauser 98k, but there were never enough of them for that, or enough ammo to feed them. (When your 30 rounds are gone, then what?)

Pistol: Anybody who prefers anything to an M1911 has never tried to clean mud out of it.

Of course everyone is entitled to his opinion. I have mine, expressed above. If yours is different, it won't bother me at all. I'll just ignore it.

M
What is nonsense about the FG42? Issued to paratroopers, select fire, relatively easy handling, not as heavy and bulky as the BAR, powerful ctg!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
You guys are hilarious wanting BARs bolt actions, and all that other esoteric and heavy crap. If I'm going to get stuck as a grunt in WWII, it means I'm probably going to get the luxury of walking across Europe. It also means automatics are no longer a curiosity. An M1 carbine with plenty of ammo will do. If I allow myself some more weight, a PPSh-41 again with plenty of ammo, although I'm torn on whether drum magazines are worth the hassle because of the weight.
M1 Carbine would be my second choice. You can't go wrong with that one.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Inglis' version of the BHP.

If I'm "taking something into battle," and it's a rifle, it's not going to be anything from WWII. It'll be an L1A1. But the BHP is a classic sidearm.
The whole point of this thread is what WWII firearm would you choose. I think you're missing the op's idea!

61 - 80 of 217 Posts