Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ammo availability would be my first concern. While I LOVE my Garand, there won't be much 30-06 ammo to scrounge up when you run out. So I would stick with a rife that shoot the ammo found on the battlefield. So my pick would be a M14 or a M1A in 7.62x51 nato or if I had to, some configuration of a M16.
EDIT: Oops, I missed you wanted WWll firearms. Sorry.
In that case, I think I'd go with an M! carbine.
Because; magazine fed, larger round count at each reload, quicker reloads, weight and able to carry more rounds for the same weight.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The most difficult in terms of the variety of natural conditions, from the heat of the Black Sea to the arctic cold of the Barents Sea, was still our front. And the weapons that worked flawlessly there will work everywhere. Therefore, the Sudayev submachine gun of the 1943 model, as the most structurally perfect, and the Mosin sniper rifle of the 1891/30 model with a PU optical sight, I would take from my safe. Reconnaissance, landing, urban battles - PPS-43. Positional warfare or special operations - a sniper rifle, just take a silencer designed by the Mitin brothers (BRAMIT).
Although I also love my PPSh-41 and AVT-40 very much ... but in war you have to choose.
If a pistol, then I would choose the Nagant of the 1895 model, for reliability. The cartridge is of course weak, it cannot be compared with 7.62x25, but in close combat it is enough, but if there is a misfire, the drum will rotate to the next cartridge.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
If I get to be a young man again, then M1 Garand.

If I have to be the current age I'm at now? Uh...

9mm Model '38 SMG
Or, an M1 carbine
Or, a 9mm Owen gun (heavy!)
Or, a 9mm Vollmer Erma Maschinenpistole/ MPE
Or, a United Defense 1942 "marlin" 9mm SMG

Pistol:
.38 Victory revolver
Or, 9mm FB VIS 35
Or, 9mm FN Hipower

If limited to what I have on hand: M1 Garand or M1 carbine....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Technically if we're flexible in the rules the SKS saw combat use at the very end of the war and the RPD had troop trials so I would take those. But if mainstream weapons only probably an M1 or M2 carbine. If modifications were allowed would put one of those rail handguards and a red dot on it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Technically if we're flexible in the rules the SKS saw combat use at the very end of the war and the RPD had troop trials so I would take those. But if mainstream weapons only probably an M1 or M2 carbine. If modifications were allowed would put one of those rail handguards and a red dot on it.
I have to correct you: neither SKS-45 nor RPD-44 was used in combat in World War II. Even tests in June 1945 of the RPD-44 took place in several military units, but the Red Army completed the fighting on May 9-12, 1945 in Europe and continued in China, Korea and Japan in August 1945.
And the SKS was tested under the 7.62x54 rifle cartridge ... as you understand, this is a different carbine. :)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Respectfully, no, it did not.

21 - 40 of 261 Posts