Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting one of the Makarov pistols in 9x18 but not sure which one. I like the looks of the cz82 and Aim has them for $209, or I could bid on one on the auction sites. Is the 82 a decent quality gun or should I look for something else.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you want to get a "Makarov" pistol then, by all means, get one made either in Russia, East Germany (or the reunified one), China or Bulgaria. Check the FAQ's on makarov.com for more info. On the other hand, if you want a pistol that shoots the 9x18 Makarov round, there are several to choose from. There's the Polish P-64, Hungarian PA-63 or the Czech Republic's CZ82, all of which are fine pistols that shoot the 9x18 round but are not Makarovs despite claims made on auction sites.

A CZ82 for $209 seems like a good deal and it's a fine pistol. Most, if not all, Makarov aficionados love them, including myself. Check your local pawn shops. Many great finds are made there and that's probably part of the appeal of owning Maks. But, arm yourself with tons of information from this forum and makarov.com so you don't get suckered in by unscrupulous sellers who'll make outrageous claims just to sell a pistol.

I'm sure others will chime in eventually to offer some more wise advice. That's just my two cents.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you want to get a "Makarov" pistol then, by all means, get one made either in Russia, East Germany (or the reunified one), China or Bulgaria. Check the FAQ's on makarov.com for more info. On the other hand, if you want a pistol that shoots the 9x18 Makarov round, there are several to choose from. There's the Polish P-64, Hungarian PA-63 or the Czech Republic's CZ82, all of which are fine pistols that shoot the 9x18 round but are not Makarovs despite claims made on auction sites.
I'll bet they didn't call the Browning Hi Powers (and others) "Lugers" just because they used 9mm Luger ammo, so why do they want to call every pistol that uses 9mm Mak ammo a "Makarov?" It only causes confusion.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'll bet they didn't call the Browning Hi Powers (and others) "Lugers" just because they used 9mm Luger ammo, so why do they want to call every pistol that uses 9mm Mak ammo a "Makarov?" It only causes confusion.
I think they want to play on the Makarov's popularity, or try to aid in selling their guns. Some out of ignorance, and some on purpose. Either way, it's no big deal, this Mak forum can just enlighten them to the Mighty Mak, a stand alone pistol.:) Btw Vulture... I would buy a Mak!!! Then if you want to pick up a CZ82, go for it too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I own one of each...a Bulgarian Makarov and a CZ-82. Two great pistols that are totally different. Research before you do anything. Find someone nearby that might allow you to fired them. The Mak is nicer looking, better finish, a natural pointer and a little smaller. The CZ-82 holds 4 more rounds, has a "painted" finish, is bulkier and because it is a little bigger the recoil is insignificant.

Just my 2 cents, good luck!

·
Registered
480 Posts
This may be coming at it the opposite of what vulture asked, but . . ..

I have Bulgarian, East German and Russian Makarovs and a recently acquired CZ-82 ($240 delivered overnite.) I'm glad I got the CZ, and enjoy shooting it, but if I could only keep one of my 9x18 guns it would absolutely be the East German Makarov. Simplicity, reliability, durability, accuracy, concealability. Sure it has tiny sights, and "only" an 8 round magazine. But it will do all you want it to do, and will keep on doing it, probably longer than you or I will live. And BTW, my carry Mak with Dennis M grips actually seems to me to be just a little bit MORE comfortable to shoot than the CZ (using regular Wolf and S&B FMJ ammo in both.) Go figure.

It would probably cost more to get an EG Mak than one of the current crop of surplus CZ-82s, but if it were me starting into the 9x18 club, that's how I would start.

·
Super Moderator
6,318 Posts
I was going to add something to the discussion, but Wrangler said it all. The Makarov rules for reliability and simplicity. The CZ-82 is ergonomic and more "modern".

It looks like I said something anyway. View Ishi's response to the "Unwashed" thread for a great opinion on Makarovs.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
This may be coming at it the opposite of what vulture asked, but . . ..

I have Bulgarian, East German and Russian Makarovs and a recently acquired CZ-82 ($240 delivered overnite.) I'm glad I got the CZ, and enjoy shooting it, but if I could only keep one of my 9x18 guns it would absolutely be the East German Makarov. Simplicity, reliability, durability, accuracy, concealability. Sure it has tiny sights, and "only" an 8 round magazine. But it will do all you want it to do, and will keep on doing it, probably longer than you or I will live. And BTW, my carry Mak with Dennis M grips actually seems to me to be just a little bit MORE comfortable to shoot than the CZ (using regular Wolf and S&B FMJ ammo in both.) Go figure.

It would probably cost more to get an EG Mak than one of the current crop of surplus CZ-82s, but if it were me starting into the 9x18 club, that's how I would start.
I will help you out by listing every pistol made today which is definately better quality
than the East German Mak.
Here is the list:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I bought them all: Four Bulgie Maks, Two CZ82s, One PA63 and One P64. Yes indeedy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts