Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
military rifle that started your collection. Describe the rifle or post pic's!! My first rifle was a 1907 CG Swedish Mauser M96B. I bought it in 1995. Most parts match, some little parts do not. It has nice wood with some unique grain pattern. If I sold or traded much of my collection, this one is one of the few that would never be sold =+) I hope I am in such great shape after 100 years =+)

Pahtu.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,746 Posts
My first milsurp...

was a 1940 Turkish K.Kale rifle, a good friend of mine bought one and after I saw his we went back to the same shop and bought the other one they had. We spent the afternoon cleaning rifles up at our cabin, then test-firing them out in the woods. That was probably the summer of 1998. For the next 7 years we had a competition to see who had the most firearms, I was stalled at 38 for a LONG time, then took off again, and surpassed him in the upper-60's. He's since moved and has pretty much stopped collecting but still has most of his original rifles and handguns. I haven't hit 200 yet but I'm close. I'll post the 1940 K.Kale photos tonight.

·
Diamond Member
5,761 Posts
Pahtu, Is that the rifle that you fixed the front sights. My first was a '42 K98 d.o.u. with a mis matched bolt. I sure had a lot of fun searching for a sight hood, cleaning rod., etc. Still have it. Denny

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
My first was an Enfield No. 4 Mk 1 plucked out of a 55 gallon drum full of them at my local Woolworths store in the mid-1960s. Cost me all of $12 of my hard earned money.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My first was a Mosin Nagant M44 back in the early 90's.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First rifle

Denny, no it is a different one - Here are a couple pic's of the rifle I had assembled with a new barrel =+)

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,165 Posts
My first was/is a Saginaw Gear Works M-1 carbine, still have it and it would be the last to go if I ever had to get rid of my collection.

You never forget your first!

·
Gold Bullet member
758 Posts
Mine was a 1937 P series vz24. I still have it today, 7 yrs later.(yes, I fixed the sling):eek:

·
Copper Bullet member
1,882 Posts
Yugo M48 for me. Started reading the Mitchell ads in The American Rifleman, then went to the internet and found the truth and this forum. A short time latter at a gunshow I found a well priced lonely M48 sitting on a table that needed a good home.

Jay

·
Registered
675 Posts
My first firearm purchase was a Russian SKS back in 1995. I was 19 years old and I was at a buddies house and he shows me a SKS he just bought. He was a few years older than I and as I was checking it out I told him I wish I was 21 so I could buy one. He told me that you only had to be 18 for rifles and shotguns. I had been around firearms and had done quite a bit of trap shooting with my moms ex-husband but they had divorced the year before. The next day my buddy and I went to Turners Outdoorsman in Riverside (for you Southern California guys) and picked out my first gun. Within three months I had bought another Russian SKS, a SVT, a Russian M44, a 96 Swedish Mauser, and a no4mk2 Enfield. I guess you can say the bug bit hard. Funny thing is my buddy still only has the 1 sks and a M44 Mosin and I can't stop.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My first was a Bubba'd 1953 La Coruna Mauser. Guy I bought it from had removed the handguard and barrel band. He also cut down the stock. Sad thing is, receiver, bolt, and floorplate all match. As I looked at it, I developed a soft spot for her and bought her to give her a good home. That's what started it for me. I'm just glad that my wife doesn't get all bent out of shape when I bring more home.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My first was this Remington M91, non-serif 1918 PTG eagles still intact. She's a total mismatch, and was missing everything but the bolt and the stock, and I got her for $150+tax. I had to pick up a handguard, cleaning rod, pouch, oiler and sling later, making the grand total nearer to $225.

She doesn't have a pristine bore, for sure, but she's FREAKISHLY accurate, and dead-on at 100yds.

It took a bit of getting used to NOT doing a 6 o'clock hold, but once I got dialed in, she'd shoot the X-ring out of any target!

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
A No.4 Mk. 1 Enfield rifle I bought in my college days (1974) for $40. Most accurate rifle I've ever owned. Could have also bought a Springfield 03-A3 for $100 from the same guy, but I thought it was overpriced. Oh well.

C/

·
Registered
940 Posts
My first was a 1917 M95 Mannlicher in 8x50r given to me by my dad when I was 7 (1960). I still have it. All matching. No import stamp. No digital camera.

CDFingers

·
Registered
30 Posts
1954 romanian m44, perfect bore and all matching but the stock was really losing its finish fast. i stripped the little bit left off and hit it with some oil.

·
Registered
81 Posts
mine was a M91/30 ordered from S&D book store Pa in 1966, for $10 included postage, the mailman brought it to the door...oh for them good old pre1968 days.

it was in good condition a Tula from 1937, it taught me why it is neccessary to clean well after using corrosive ammo. back then i was not aware of that fact, and the bore severly rusted. gave it away.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My first was a K.Kale "M38" Turk Mauser, a $40 Big 5 special my brother gave me as a house warming gift about six years ago.

-Devo

·
Gold Bullet member
2,105 Posts
I went gravel pit plinking several years ago with a good friend who was a hunter. Got to shoot her thutty-thutty, a shotgun, and a chinese SKS she'd brought. Her dad is a WWII vet who brought his M1 rifle.
I've been caught in the web ever since, when I got home from that weekend I got on the web, found AIM, and picked up a pristine yugo SKS, unissued with the log book and everything. Still have it, it's the one that started this madness...

1 - 20 of 114 Posts