Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking mainly to the old members here, back in the early 2010's or before but all are welcome to share of course!

Mine was I think one I sold to Spax. It was a straight stock correct and nice M39. That to me was the one that I should have always kept. Honestly wasn't much special about it and I've had nicer ones but that one connected with me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I acquired a nice early straight m39 at the beginning of the coronavirus panic I'm pretty sure the guy I got it from will miss it. I do regret selling my first rifle 1938 91/30 just because it was my first gun.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
Same here, a straight stock M39....hoping Mark AP gets tired of it someday :cry:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Either the very nice all matching 1953 Romanian M44 I had or the 1944-dated all matching unissued/non-refurbed Soviet M44 that I also sold on.......still kick myself over both every now and again but you live and learn!.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Back before I really caught Mosinitis I was just focusing on WW2 rifles. I bought my first hex receiver M91/30 and my first M44 off Armslist from the same seller who assured me the M44 was dated 1945. It was raining when we met up in a parking lot for the sale so I didn't take as good look at the M44 as I should have till I got home and realized it was a 1946! I ended up selling it later and getting a 1944 Izhevsk but later on after my collecting focus narrowed to all things Mosin I regretted letting the 46 go, it was factory original matching with no refurbishment marks but at the time I didn't realize how uncommon that was.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back before I really caught Mosinitis I was just focusing on WW2 rifles. I bought my first hex receiver M91/30 and my first M44 off Armslist from the same seller who assured me the M44 was dated 1945. It was raining when we met up in a parking lot for the sale so I didn't take as good look at the M44 as I should have till I got home and realized it was a 1946! I ended up selling it later and getting a 1944 Izhevsk but later on after my collecting focus narrowed to all things Mosin I regretted letting the 46 go, it was factory original matching with no refurbishment marks but at the time I didn't realize how uncommon that was.

Wish I had known about this before. I had a peach of an all original matching non refurb 1946 M44 off broker. I think I got it for $275 if I remember. Still was caked in dried cosmoline!!! All you would have had to do was let me know and it coulda been yours.

·
Registered
268 Posts
1938 Tula 91/30, it was one of those Friday too much Vodka guns. Unevenly machined receiver, spiral machine marks on the barrel and Electro-penciled serial numbers on everything but the barrel shank. It was an ugly rifle so I gave it to my son. Turned out to be one of the most accurate Mosins I had seen. He could get that thing to make clover leaves on the target at 100 yards. I shot it a couple of time and it consistently shot tight groups. It’s accuracy far outweighed it’s ugly ness so I asked if he would let me have it back, he declined. Fast forward 3 years and he is headed overseas and asks me to look after his guns for him. After a while I decided to swab the bores and oil them down. That ugly 91/30 had the rustiest bore I have ever seen. I scrubbed and scrubbed and there was not a bit of rifling left. Put a bullet in the bore and it was swallowed. Tried to shoot it to see if there was anything left. It’s was a key-holing shotgun. He had shot it with old surplus and even though I had explained corrosive ammo to him and the importance of cleaning after he had not done it. What a waste.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,366 Posts
Several 91/38's. Long ago and didn't realize what they were. Some even got made into "snipers" bent bolts and all by buyers.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Honestly just a run of the mill M44. Why I regret selling it? Sold it to a friend of my brother who proceeded to slam it into an Archangel stock and attach some weird scope mount and like 40 dollar 100 feature scopes that won't hold zero ever. Nothing special but it was just utterly destroyed in my opinion.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have a couple of candidates;
1, a Tikka 91/30, that cost $40.00 at auction. Bore as new. No-one knew what they were back then.
It would shoot just over a four -inch 5-shot group, open sights, at 550 yards. Mind, I could see better back then!

The other, would be a well -used M 39. No finish left, and marks where cloth had rusted to the action and bolt, pitting the parts quite severely, and leaving the impression of the cloth weave showing. It seems it may have been left out over a winter... Bore was V good though.. Been through the arsenal afterwards, and rust brushed bright, . had a lot of history in it, that one!

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,645 Posts
Mine is a 1913 Izhevsk M1907 carbine. It went to a longtime board member and friend here, so it's in a good place. I just wish I hadn't needed the money to sell it at the time. Another one would be a matching 1894 Chatellerault M91/38, sold for the same reason. A lot of my collection went to pay rent and bills from 2009-2011 when I was unemployed. Lots of rifles I know I'll never see again. Sometimes life sucks.

But I consider myself fortunate in the ones I've found in my rebuilding efforts, I'm very happy with the firearms I've been able to obtain since 2011. Some of the real gems are gone, but have been replaced by other nice pieces.

Regrets, but no complaints.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I really regret hesitating once on the purchase of a B-barrel M/39. I finally scraped the money together and belatedly returned to the shop--having not put money down to hold it of course--groan!--to find that literally the next person who examined it after me bought it. That sucked.

"First world problems" Eh? :rolleyes:

I actually had a 1946 Izhevsk M44 that I sold. Never should have, even though I don't particularly care for M44s. Still, I like the one I've got.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Let's see, I have several I can think of. Sold most of my collection in 2009 during the recession to pay bills. I had a nice 1915 Izhevsk M91 (non-finned), a "sanitized" 91/59 with a like new bore and I also sold a very smooth 1946 M44. However, I'm doing better than ever now and have rebuilt my collection bigger than it was previously. I know someone on here has my 91/59, I saw them post about it many years ago because it had a PPSh sling on it, hope they enjoy it, it was a nice one.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
As in regard to the question leading off this thread: I will let you know when I sell off my first one.

It is like Hotel California here. They check in, but they don't check out.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don’t have many regrets along these lines... I would have more under the heading of “The One That Got Away”...but one I did let go of and shouldn’t have was a 1943 m44. It was my first surplus rifle. And it was in great shape inside and out. Keeping my eyes open for it to resurface however, as stranger things have happened!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 37 Posts