Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
349 Posts
"light-weight" and .44 Magnum do not belong in the same sentence. Nor in the same paragraph. The Herters 240 grain soft points are sorta light, though, if what you want is to see grown men curse at their hands. Unfortunately, that gun is not built strong enough to shoot a round of Buffalo Bore's Heavy .44 Magnum +P+ Ammo - 340 gr. Hard Cast L.F.N. - G.C. If it was, you could load one and watch what happens to your manly friends. But it is not, period, full stop, end of discussion. Buffalo Bore says:
"We get hundreds of emails asking if this load can be fired in S&W revolvers or some firearm other than what is in the above list. The answer is NO. The above list is all-inclusive. If some shooters continue to use this product irresponsibly, we may have to discontinue it, and that would be unfortunate as it is our best selling 44 mag. Load, and it gives excellent performance for those that use it responsibly; however, as is always the case, irresponsible use of any product ends up penalizing responsible users."
The all-inclusive list of firearms strong enough to shoot it, as of today according to Buffalo Bore, is: "Ruger Red Hawk, Ruger Super Red Hawk (the Ruger Alaskan is a short barrel Super Redhawk), Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, Freedom Arms Model 83, Taurus Raging Bull All Steel Versions (no lightweight alloys), Colt Anaconda, Magnum Research BFR and Dan Wesson Revolvers. Suitable rifles include T/C Encore, CVA Hunter, Handi Rifle and any rifle with a falling block action."
I shoot them in my Ruger Alaskan as infrequently as possible; there is nothing at all fun about it.
Interesting, thank you.

· Registered
349 Posts
I have one, and carry it sometimes in the woods or even off-duty. Load it with 240 gr. cast SWCs over enough Unique to get to a chronographed 1,000 fps. Also carry a speed strip in the unlikely event a reload is needed. As a five-shooter the bolt-stop notches are offset from the thinnest part of the chambers, so the gun is a bit stronger than some might think. Controllable (if I hold my tongue right) but more powerful than any 9mm or even .45ACP (out here our top-tier predators include bears, wolves, cougars, and drunk 300-pound loggers armed with 30" bar chainsaws).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts