Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,112 Posts
If you, or someone you know handloads you could load for the highly accurate 44 special loads and a reasonable 44 sp+p, say a 900 to 950 fps load. Are the Herters loads factory or someones concoction in Herters brass of some Elmer Keith load with a hat full of 2400 published 60 years ago. I loaded Elmers load minus 2-3 grains and it was more than adequate to numb the wrist. Look at the gun as a high end Charter Arms Bulldog. You could load 45acp to 45 colt level loads if you break down the Herters loads and reload. Or look for a reasonable 44 sp load in 44 mag brass if cylinder "erosion" with 44sp brass is of concern. (My Smiths and Rugers did not "erode" with 44 sp brass/loads) Plenty of people would covet this revolver. You basically own a 44 special with a useable barrel length that can handle a 44sp+p or 45 colt vintage load and even magnum loads if you're into that type of self abuse. BTW, Harry was rumored to have actually used a 41 mag in the movie. With blanks of course.

· Registered
1,112 Posts
Addendum...When I talk of 45 colt loads, Im talking the old 1880's black powder loads which thumped. When smokeless powders came along the original frames were not meant for the pressure potential of the 45 colt and were downloaded to suit even the earliest frames and cylinders. Anotherwords, smokeless reached working pressures before velocities of the black powder loads were reached. Nothing is going to laugh at a 240 grain bullet going 900+ fps unless its something you should have brung a rifle for in the first place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts