Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
I hadn't looked at this because I thought it would be a tough question but everyone should recognize that one as fitting the,
"Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range." It's easy to get mixed up with the 60 watt version but the barrel locking ring is bigger.

Honestly I have no idea, but my first thought was MG08.

CAD

· Registered
1,625 Posts
I say Lewis gun

· Registered
147 Posts
There are many dozens of tripods for early MGs that one only can see in the "Weapons Mounts for Secondary Armament"volume and I can't find it tin there.
This tripod has a rear mount so most of the above suggestions are disqualified. The groove on the inside of the clamp suggest a gun with a circular ridge around the jacket for the clamp just like a Lewis, but the Lewis does not have a rear mount. Jap Naval Lewis has a tripod but not like this and both Brit and US made special Lewis adaptors for Vickers and US tripods.
Or the groove might be for a leather strip, etc. The clamp appears larger than a Lewis anyway, but might fit a smooth jacket Vickers or BMG.
Could fit a Browning watercooled as well, but the length of the cradle looks a bit short. The head of the rear mount pin has somewhat of a Browning 1917a1 rear pin look to it.
My notion is that this one might be for one of the early watercooled MGs invented and built as prototypes in early 20th century but could not compete with the dominant types. Very interesting and quality built tripod.
FWIW

· Registered
2,586 Posts
There are many dozens of tripods for early MGs that one only can see in the "Weapons Mounts for Secondary Armament"volume and I can't find it tin there.
This tripod has a rear mount so most of the above suggestions are disqualified. The groove on the inside of the clamp suggest a gun with a circular ridge around the jacket for the clamp just like a Lewis, but the Lewis does not have a rear mount. Jap Naval Lewis has a tripod but not like this and both Brit and US made special Lewis adaptors for Vickers and US tripods.
Or the groove might be for a leather strip, etc. The clamp appears larger than a Lewis anyway, but might fit a smooth jacket Vickers or BMG.
Could fit a Browning watercooled as well, but the length of the cradle looks a bit short. The head of the rear mount pin has somewhat of a Browning 1917a1 rear pin look to it.
My notion is that this one might be for one of the early watercooled MGs invented and built as prototypes in early 20th century but could not compete with the dominant types. Very interesting and quality built tripod.
FWIW
I’m with Bob on this. I went through the list in my brain and couldn’t come up with anything. Are there any markings whatsoever?

· Registered
1,117 Posts
I suspect you have an export or "composite", perhaps of a U.S. M2 .30 lowboy ( or close foreign-made semi-copy) tripod and a European B.A.R. or Lewis pivoting apparatus/mount, similar to the the F.N. tripod shown here for the B.A.R.'s Mle. 30 and "D". NO, it is not identical, but the concepts are very similar.

The feet are very much in the American style, but the rest is NOT.

BREN guns and some B.A.R. variants had an extra fitting to accommodate sustained fire mountings. So did some Lewis guns, but the bottom looks both more American and newer than the top.

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
That tripod is for the Dutch Lewis. Prominently pictured in William Easterly's "The Belgian Rattlesnake." This is the definitive book for Lewis gun owners. I had seen it in the book but never have seen one show up. Where did you come by that?

· Registered
1,117 Posts
"That tripod is for the Dutch Lewis. Prominently pictured in William Easterly's "The Belgian Rattlesnake." This is the definitive book for Lewis gun owners. I had seen it in the book but never have seen one show up. Where did you come by that?"

That makes sense. I may have seen that one before, some 58 years ago, in Wind Lake at Bill's place.

Is he still alive? Seems he'd be 90 or more by now.

My brother bought several Savage M1928A1's from him.

· Silver Bullet Member
1,594 Posts
Looks like a recoilless rifle tripod. I suggest measuring the interior diameter of the front mount, metric and inch, to get a rough idea of size to inform your research.

Shannon

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts