Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
a bore snake for 223 and also silly string. We used it when you breach a door, you spray a little and it will hang on trip wires, letting you know to watch out.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,398 Posts
Items I have sent on request:

Baby wipes
Jerky
Gatorade powder
Tortilla chips
microwave popcorn
chewing gum
cigars (good ones)
chewing tobacco
cookies
magazines: automobile, sports, motorcycle, etc
paperback books
Local Sunday newspaper
music CDs
movie DVDs

All of these were very appreciated, and the contents were split up among the whole squad, or platoon, so everyone would get to share.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
care package

some of the things i wanted were the silly string all the jerky i could get pop corn,gun and car magazines,books , i wanted a pistol but knew that was out. also my brand of tooth paste and a extra tooth brush

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I spent over $300 buying in bulk at my local Sam's club to send.

I asked myself, "What would I want if I was over there."

I remember getting a case of popcorn and beef jerky along with eye drops, chapstick, Mach 4 razors and replaceable blades, Powerbars, D, AAA, AA batteries to name a few.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Try to send it to one of the small wretched FOBs, not the big bases like Balad or Kirkuk.... they ransack everything meant for the grunts!!! By the time our infantry battalion got shipments they only had LDS romance novels [people meant well] , diet top-ramens and DVDs on food processing [tax write offs?]

The big bases have pizzereas, Burger Kings, Subways, Baskin Robbins, free libraries [with books, mags, DVDs, even newspapers], swimming pools, PX/BXs, loose females, churches, christmas trees, game halls, basketball courts, etc.

The small FOBs... get a "combat jack" in the outhouse. Send them hunting and firearms mags, car or truck mags, FMs [ask a Joe if you don't know] if you know the guys, and they like it. Good history books. Any type of comedy or action DVDs. Good jerkey [the stuff made at the local meat shop, not Wal-Mart], peanut M&Ms, nice candy bars.... NOT charms or skittles!! they are in the MREs!!

There are those new comix dramas like Sin City, ask your 18 year olds. The same with music. Death Metal, Rap, Punk, HipHop, Grindcore, and CW. No Emo! That is for pogues/REMFs. A chess game never hurt.

Send over mouthwash replaced by vodka and food coloring. Only USAF, Blackwater and SF get booze.

Baby wipes are holy for those MRE sharts, and even if he doesn't chew, he can trade or share with his bros. Good cigars too.

THE STUPIDEST THING IS THOSE FLEA COLLARS!!! I saw them on those lists. This is a dangerous urban legend, ask a medic. They will FUBAR your nervous system. outhere

·
Registered
492 Posts
One of the things that I send my kid that's over there in his packages is toliet paper.
Just crush down rolls in their boxes & use it as packing material. My son says they
have the cheapest toliet paper made in the world over there. Charmin & the super soft
stuff is always a big hit. Cheap little electronic games that you can get at the $1.00
store. Books. Gold bond medicated baby powder & foot powder. Gun magazines & gun
catalogs. Sports illustrated magazines. Everything else has been mentioned.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
From past care packages:
DVDs
CDs (music, not certificates of deposit, obviously ;) )
toilet paper
soap and shampoo
tooth paste (and a five pack of new toothrbushes is good too)
clean new socks (fresh socks and drawers can go a loooooong way towards morale!)
magazines
sunscreen
pre-paid phone cards
Nerf football
microwave popcorn
Tabasco sauce
BBQ sauce
jerky
paperbacks
note pads/envelopes/pencils/pens
disposable cameras
tennis balls
yeast (he'll know what to do with it, trust me)

·
Registered
380 Posts
A friend actually requested bug repellent. I sent Bullfrog Mosquito coast sunscreen/repellent. Also send spray on sun screen so they don't have to get it all over their hands. Magazines, current newspapers, good toilet paper. Don't send anything that can melt, or anything pressurized ie aerosols.

I also got a request for powered gatorade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been here 6 years now and here is my observation. The Chaplain and the MWR folks always have tons of "thank you/donated" type items out there up for grabs. The PX on most sites are well stocked and net grocer and net drug store are a mouse click away. If you have a buddy here, what they are real hungry for are home town news papers, pictures of friends, parties, home, pets, events, family, etc. Anything unique to their roots. There may be specific brands of shampoo, deodorant, toiletries, that are not carried by the PX that would be appreciated. Good DVDs of movies new and old. As most are young, video games are played a lot (I am too old to appreciate those). If they spend a lot of time in the gym, those "man in a can" supplements are consumed like M&Ms (make sure they are legal steroid free of course). Home baked items are ever a treat and this time of year they transport well due to lower temperatures. If you have no one specifically to send to, then the day to day sundries are appreciated and utilized.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.