Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is my first post, so forgive me if there is a better place to post this on the forum. I am mainly looking for something with post-Weimar stamps, aka true nazi stamps. I want it to have a good bore, for it to function well, and at least not be in terrible condition. I was told that it should not be hard getting a k98k fitting these descriptors for around 800 or so. Is that a reasonable price?

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Welcome! You need to have a minimum of 25 posts to access the classified section where you can put up a want to buy. You can’t get access by making 25 random posts, it doesn’t happen overnight. I suggest reading through several posts and learn what to look for and what to avoid. research, research, research.

An educated buyer will be much happier with their purchase in the long run.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome! You need to have a minimum of 25 posts to access the classified section where you can put up a want to buy. You can’t get access by making 25 random posts, it doesn’t happen overnight. I suggest reading through several posts and learn what to look for and what to avoid. research, research, research.

An educated buyer will be much happier with their purchase in the long run.

Good luck!
Thank you, is that price reasonable for what I want?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Post is in the correct forum.
The criteria of bolt & receiver matching, in the $800 ballpark could easily describe a force-matched RC - with or w/out party markings. Is that what you seek?

"Better" is a rather subjective term here, & the doubts are valid.

"Learning before burning" any cash would be a wise move.

Reactions: CJ556

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome aboard.
Post is in the correct forum.
The criteria of bolt & receiver matching, in the $800 ballpark could easily describe a force-matched RC - with or w/out party markings. Is that what you seek?

"Better" is a rather subjective term here, & the doubts are valid.

Yes, I am fine with a Russian capture k98k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A fully matching depending on condition goes between 2500-3500.

You said you want the bolt to matches the reciever. Usually thoses are desporterize bring back. Youll have a hard time finding a good one for less then a russian capture. I dont believe you will find one for less then 1200$.

Thats my 2 cents.
I should change the description to not include a matched bolt to receiver. I am fine with a Russian capture.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you take a look in the k98 section I have a thread with my k98. I am toying with the idea of selling mine to acquire something else. Look it over.

I also have a mismatched bayonet that should fit it. Russian captures had their bayonets melted down so a matching bayo to rifle is pretty much impossible.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

I suggest reading through several posts and learn what to look for and what to avoid. research, research, research.
What the experts say.....

See this ancient post about possible gun show types you may see:
Military Surplus k98ks commonly found at gun shows - Surplus Rifle Forum - www.surplusrifleforum.org
If you are really into a bring backs( big bucks) look over the reference section on the K98 forum:
A nice forum that shows"real" from put together/ fake bring backs

Also is the Milsurps reference library:

(y)Study this forums Turd alerts section:

also FAQ K98k section

Then books ... Then drop some big coin, but have a K98k collector with you, just too many fakes at big bucks. Almost any gun show will have a few K98s. I would want to see and inspect what I buy in person if paying more than $1000. Do you know how to inspect a rifle?

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
WTB and guns for sale posts belong in the trader forum. You guys can take it to private messages if the new guy has enough posts to use the messages.

Reactions: bigwagon

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
The book “Backbone of the Wehrmacht” is a great book for anyone into K98k’s, a bit pricey but we’ll worth it. Like the others posted research is your best defense against getting burned. Study this forum too as the information on here is invaluable. An RC in your price range is reasonable but prices seem to be rising steadily. Good luck in your hunt and enjoy the education that goes with it!
Jim

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The book “Backbone of the Wehrmacht” is a great book for anyone into K98k’s, a bit pricey but we’ll worth it. Like the others posted research is your best defense against getting burned. Study this forum too as the information on here is invaluable. An RC in your price range is reasonable but prices seem to be rising steadily. Good luck in your hunt and enjoy the education that goes with it!
Jim
BBOTW was a fine attempt for its day but much of the information contained in it is outdated. The best K98k books are those authored by Karem and Steves in three volumes. Unfortunately Vol. 1 and 3 are out of print but it looks like there are still copies of vol.2 which covers production from 1938 to 1944 avialiable at their website.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
My typically "different answer". The subject you propose is complex and collectors spend considerable if happy time and energy "engaging" in such. A lot of good information above particularly noting the "matching" of serial numbered parts, of which the Germans typical as fixation! As also noted, specimens of value are often "faked" in ways amateurs can't necessarily tell. Your question good, but about like having a set of engineering plans available as yourself a classical pianist. Another sort of "forced match".
My advice, there are a lot of "pretty faces" among the mausers. I'd seek one such, perhaps a Yugo genre K98 pattern, scrubbed of original mix & match indicators but a functioning rifle. Buy and enjoy! As time and interests permit, study the subject as suggested. Inquire here as learning all the nuances.
There's a lot of 'silly money' today involved in overpaying for misrepresented goods. I'd first join the crowd of happy shooters with decent looking K98k "genre" rifles. I've never bought a gun from this Forum WTS, but more likely to get 'the real deal' from a member-history established collector who's selling. I have one only real deal K98k, but frankly more 'fun' with aother of mine as genre specimen, "close to" looks at considerably $$$ savings. Also the many 'other model' military mausers too!
The 'different strokes' philosophy of gun collecting which to me is 'supposed' to be fun! As nowadays many nice guns moving toward "investment expenditures"; a dimension impinging on 'fun'!
Give me your "sorta, maybe, kinda, near genuine specimens... Thank you very much!

Photo exemplar below, one of my 'fun guns'! A Yugo! Less of what it is (and isn't), more of yet handsome to me milsurp & good shooter!

Just my take...
Best & Good luck!
John

Attachments

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
If you take a look in the k98 section I have a thread with my k98. I am toying with the idea of selling mine to acquire something else. Look it over.

I also have a mismatched bayonet that should fit it. Russian captures had their bayonets melted down so a matching bayo to rifle is pretty much impossible.
Matching issued bayonet to a German military K98k is impossible as they were never made/issued with a matching numbered bayonet. The bayonet manufacturers did number match their bayonets and scabbards, but this was totally independent of the serial number systems used by the K98k makers.

There were some model 98 export orders where the buyer specified the rifles be furnished with matching numbered bayonets, but this was not a requirement of the German military in WWl or WWll.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
You can probably find a nice RC for $800 or less. As much as I like to collect numbers matching all original and correct milsurps, that is out the window when it comes to K98’s. They are just too expensive. I have a couple of RC’s that are really clean and great shooters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts