Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Big5 two weeks ago and picked up a stepped tang high wall 1942 Tula 91/30. Not that I needed a 15th 91/30 for my collection but I bought it for the pre-war stock that was a perfect match for a 1938 Tula ex-pem that I have. I swapped stocks and planned to take it to the gun show this weekend to sell or trade. But as I look at it, I notice that the barrel and receiver have had nothing done to them. There is absolutely no signs of refurbishment, like it was just taken off the line and put in storage. No refurb markers, no evidence of scrubbing or polishing, has original lathe marks, no corrosion. Barrel is very good but dark grooves, smooth action, smooth trigger.

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
Teds on his 315th 1942.

·
Registered
918 Posts

Mosinmeister,

What does the bluing look like? Is it shiny like what is commonly seen on '46 - '48 M44s or is it the dry, matte finish that is seen on most refurbs?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I still have my BB guns from when I was a kid and have never sold or traded any of my firearms so if it were me I would keep it with the rest of its family.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
A "PEM" sniper that was decommissioned into a standard infantry rifle. Technically PEM stands for the type of scope, but they are generally associated with a side rail mount that predated the PU scope type mount. They are relatively uncommon from 1942 as it was a stop-gap measure when the SVT sniper program wasn't as successful as hoped and before the PU scope and mount were fully implemented. You can learn much more about the various Soviet snipers on www.mosinnagant.net

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I'm reading that the '38 was the PEM and the '42 was purchased to restock the '38 PEM. The '42 action now sits in the stock that was on the '38. Since the '42 action looks so nice, take one of your less fortunate '42s to the show for sale or trade?

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Woe is me... Woe is me!

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
1 - 13 of 13 Posts