1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an old single shot bolt 22 at a pawnshop today. It's marked
SPRINGFIELD model 15
J Stevens Arms Chicopee Mass USA

the metal is good, the bore is reasonably shiny considering this was probably some kids beater
the wood was painted this hideous baby shit brown.

I stripped the wood intending on re-staining it, and when it was completely striped found many many repairs for some small and some large cracks in the wood. the wood is stable, smooth without a lot of dings, and the repairs look professional, but if I only stained the wood, they'd be noticeable. so now I'm thinking that painting wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as it's not baby shit brown.

any ideas on paints? colors? or other refinishing options I haven't thought of?

TIA,

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,613 Posts
Stain it and see how it turns oput. May not be that obvious, and may not, even if visible, be that offensive. Use an alcohol-=based stain that will penetrate better. If they are too obvious and the general appearance is unsatisfactory - might be a candidate for a camouflage paint job. Probably an acrylic paint.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I will suggest thinking outside the box and PAINT it! U can use filler primer ie auto filler primer, sand it and possibly use it a second time. After that pick out a color u like or 2 even. Use a quality urethane and then clear coat that with urethane clear and it will knock ur socks of with good looks. I am going to do my project Mosin Nagant in a metallic black with red trim at the front end of the stock were many wood finished have a black cap on it for about the last 2-3 inches. IT will get 4-6 coats of urethane clear and be durable for life.

Fill in the imperfections you have on the present stock taking care to insure smoothness AND NOT appearance of the wood as u can paint that and it will never show. There r some classy painted high dollar stocks out there that look great with blued metal rifles.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking of using duracoat on it.
I've used duracoat on 2 other stocks, one synthetic and one wood, both savage drag around the woods guns, and a number of handguns, and have been very pleased with the outcome. I emailed Lauer and they recommended the Desert Mirage Brown saying it most closely looked like walnut brown.

I might give that a shot after some prep work, and follow it up with their clear coat finish.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,970 Posts
Stain it and see how it turns oput. May not be that obvious, and may not, even if visible, be that offensive. Use an alcohol-=based stain that will penetrate better. If they are too obvious and the general appearance is unsatisfactory - might be a candidate for a camouflage paint job. Probably an acrylic paint.
+1. I'd try staining first (w/ alcohol based), maybe even several shades. Might get what you want.

Never tried duracoat but sure sounds like it works.

Camo paint is a good option to hide anything.

I once saw a milsurp that had been covered in 'bed-liner' stuff. It was well done and I've kept that in the back of my mind ....

Good luck, show us some pics when you're done.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought an old single shot bolt 22 at a pawnshop today. It's marked
SPRINGFIELD model 15
J Stevens Arms Chicopee Mass USA

the metal is good, the bore is reasonably shiny considering this was probably some kids beater
the wood was painted this hideous baby shit brown.

I stripped the wood intending on re-staining it, and when it was completely striped found many many repairs for some small and some large cracks in the wood. the wood is stable, smooth without a lot of dings, and the repairs look professional, but if I only stained the wood, they'd be noticeable. so now I'm thinking that painting wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as it's not baby shit brown.

any ideas on paints? colors? or other refinishing options I haven't thought of?

TIA,
Congrats on your recent purchase. I'm a life- long woodworker. Take your time. Let us know if you would like to restore the stock. If so, pics of what you believe is the original finish would be helpful. A brief search on google images reveals a non- gloss finish: http://images.google.com/search?tbm...D+model+15&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m1g-S8&aql=&oq=

It appears to be similar to a Watco Danish Oil Finish. Watco is not the only brand for a quality oil finish. However, the Watco Danish Oil finish allows you to control the amount of gloss. Too bad I don't have a shop right now; otherwise, I would finish it for you per your specs as a courtesy. Send me a private email any time for suggestions on how to finish your rifle.

Enjoy your project.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,267 Posts
+1 on trying to stain with alcohol based stain. If you give up and paint it, Duracoat works well but my favorite is Wrinkle paint, available from Brownells. Produces a very tough finish with "grip".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.