Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fired my first Single action pistol this past weekend and fell in love! A friend of mine had a 3rd gen colt, 7 inch barrel in 45lc. He also had a Cimarron, 5 inch barrel in 38/357. I would like to buy a nice Single action for plinking that would also have value? What is the best caliber? I do not reload.

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
531 Posts
Likely the most "historically correct" cartridges would be .45 Colt and .44-40 Winchester .... but they can be pretty pricey to buy over the counter. Most economical commercially available cartridge would likely be .38Spl./.357Mag. Not a historically correct chambering (at least for the 19th Century) but there was a .38 Long Colt cartridge back in the day, and the .38 Special was actually developed from it ....
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Long_Colt
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

My own Cowboy Action Shooting single action revolvers (7 of them) are all chambered in .45 Colt, because that's what I started out with .....

·
Banned
155 Posts
Everything that isn't a Colt is just a copy. If I didn't already have 5 single actions, I would buy a Colt SAA in 45 LC with a 5 1/2 barrel. Sure they cost more, but they will always be worth more. I grew up very poor, my father taught me, if you have to buy tools, buy the best tools you can.

·
Registered
17,634 Posts
Colt quality has gone to pot in the past 20-30 years in comparison to the 1st and 2nd generation.

The best colt SAA are pre 1980s . Just go over to the colt forum and you will see many a example of what i speak.

I have a colt generation 3 44-40 made in 1986.. appearance it looks great but the fit of the back strap to the frame is poor.. my uberti has a better fit and alignment. Trigger is better on the colt, as is the case color.. but its 3x the price of a uberti.. so..

Right now you can't go wrong with a Uberti cattleman.. or if you want a classic look with a modern safer action the Ruger New Vaquero is a great choice.

My colt is in 44-40 to go with my Winchester 1873. Which is historically correct.. no Winchester was ever chambered in 45 colt during the period in question (19th century).

My uberti and Ruger are in .38/.357 just for economic purposes. 44-40 50rds = $35 + 45LC 50rd - $40+ .357 mag 50rds - $22-24 , 38 spc 50rds 16-18. Pure economics.

I think you can see.. you can't go wrong with any of them. It all comes down to

1. Budget

2. Authenticity

3. +/- s

Prices general market

New Vaquero Brand new : 525-550

Uberti Brand New - 425-500

Colt 1st Generation 2500+

Colt 2nd Generation 1800+

Colt 3rd Generation 1100+

Some side information:

Ubertis are made on old colt manufacturing equipment. They are forged and color cased just the originals; and are almost handmade surprisingly after watching the video below... i have no idea how they can sell them for only 4 or 5 bills. It should be noted that the Ruger is Casted just like all rugers are.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,348 Posts
If you don’t reload and this is your first one I would highly suggest the Ruger New Vaquero in 38/357. If you can, handle several different barrel lengths and see which one feels the best for you.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
Of the two you mentioned, go for the Cimarron. For your purposes and situation, better cartridge. Made by Uberti for Cimarron. You should be happy with it. Has the Colt weaknesses - uses flat springs a lot, vs the Ruger's all coil springs.

·
Registered
17,634 Posts
if you are not going for a historical caliber - my thoughts are just go .38/357. But boy there is nothing like shooting a replica Single action in its historical caliber of 44-40 / 45 colt. Nothing like it..

Was having a blast today with a Model 3 in 44-40.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
.44 Special is in a number of ways a better round for shooting than .45 Colt. And it is historically available in the SAA (though not during the old West days; introduced c.1913 in the SAA).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two old-model Ruger Vaqueros in 44 mag, 4.75" barrels. Shooting them with 44 Special cartridges, they shoot horribly, very difficult to keep 6 rounds within a two-foot square @ 20 yards. They don't shoot any better with 44 magnum loads, and with those my hand comes up bloody. I consider them just plain JUNK.
I have two Uberti SAAs in 45 Colt, one a Uberti Cattleman and the other a Taylor Ranch Hand Deluxe. Both shoot very well, about a 2.5" group @ 25 yards at point of aim and both are beautiful guns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.