Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a handful of these weird rounds. Have no clue as to what they fit. They are made from a parent case of 30-06 military rounds from WWII. Overall length is 1.658. It appears that there is not any taper and has a base diameter of .458. They are full of shot. The case mouth is crimped around what appears to be a 45 cal gas check. The gas check is cupped shaped inside the case mouth with a very small ridge on the edges. I have checked all my reloading books to find anything even close to these things, without any success. Do any of you have any idea what the heck these are? Appreciate any and all info you might have. Thanks

Attachments

· Registered
2,958 Posts
Shot filled would not be blanks. Suspect they would be used for small game foraging in a remote camp/off grid scenario. They appear nicely made and interesting, most likely for a bolt action gun but not as a commercial product.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shot filled would not be blanks. Suspect they would be used for small game foraging in a remote camp/off grid scenario. They appear nicely made and interesting, most likely for a bolt action gun but not as a commercial product.
This could very well be correct. But, what would they fit? I cannot think if they were made for the 30-06 having to travel through the chamber and then get mashed down into the rifling they would be of any use.

· Copper Bullet member
832 Posts
"They may be intended for a .45acp model 1917 revolver."

You just beat me to it, as I was typing. :) You hit the nail on the head, exactly what I was thinking when I saw the photo.

I have some just like them on my bench, for a 1917 revolver in the safe. That is precisely what they are.

The "neck" of the case is left much longer than it would be for an automatic; it holds more shot and fills the longer cylinder of the 1917 revolver that was originally designed for the .45 Colt cartridge.

added: your OAL measurement is very slightly longer than mine. Mine measure 1.630". It looks like 1.658" is a few thousandths too long for the 1917 S&W cylinder. Maybe the 1917 Colt cylinder is slightly longer? I don't have a Colt so I don't know.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dumb guess on my part

Dumb guess on my part. I just didn't read the post carefully.
Gentlemen, It appears that you have the answer. I thought about a shot shell for the `06 but had my doubts that it would work. Hard to think there would be much of a pattern but, then, there isn`t much for shot in the cases. I`m am sure, at a close range it would ruin a buzz-tail`s day real fast. Thanks for the info, sure do appreciate it.

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Gas check on top, shot, gas check on bottom, appropriate charge of bullseye powder or the like, snake or vermin loads. Some neck down slightly to fit .45 acp 1917 revolver cylinders with S&W or later Colt, early Colt had a straight thru cylinder. Military made standard and extended length shot cartridges but did not look like these I dont think. I believe those military made were necked down slightly. Those for the 1911 were a standard case and a red bullet shaper paper covering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts