Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few boxes of what I believe is Etalon Soviet ammo, white tip in blue boxes.
Standard for Soviet ammo ? Shoot or collect ? I've never seen it at the gunshows or advertised in the flyers.

Thanks for responses,

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
What we saw here was Hungarian mfg (Factory 21 code on HS) was said to be "reference ammuntion" used as a standard when testing or perhaps to test instrument calibration.

Those who shot some reported it was nothing special.....shot like Hungarian GI ball.

If yours is Soviet it may have some Collector value to a few individuals.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yes, the white tip is the color code for "reference" ammunition, or more properly, "Ballistic Standard". This ammunition was/is used to calibrate test equipment such as chronographs, and such, to establish a base line of the "standard" for the caliber for comparing new lots of ammunition as they are produced. This "Etalon" stuff was most likely surplussed due to age. IIRC, the headstamps I've seen indicate it is 20+ years old or more. Some folks mistakenly beleive that this ammunition is match grade or something, but it is not and was not intended to be. It was produced to be uniform and consistent, nothing more. This is why, plus age possibly, people who have shot this ammunition claim only average accuracy. Since a ton of this stuff has shown up, it's collector value has dropped considerably. Most likely your stuff has Polish or Hungarian headstamps, not Soviet. Post your headstamp info here and I'll tell you exactly what you have.

D.D.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gentlemen, thank you for the informative replies and please accept my appolgy for my very tardy reply.

The headstamp on this ammo is 21

Nice looking copper colored cases and two tone white tip. Pure white and very light grey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts