Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a local pawn shop a few weeks back and they had a M38. At least that's what it said on the tag. I dismissed it because Bubba (in his infinite wisdom) saw fit to attach a scope, although it was attached to the rear sight and I don't think it was drilled and tapped. They wanted $150 for it. I left the store with no regrets but since then I have been thinking that perhaps I should save the old girl. I figure that the price is too high and I don't think that it was a rare variant (the shop sells a lot of guns and I am assuming that they probably know their stuff). I remember that it was not a Tula, because I have been looking for any rifle from that arsenal, but I cannot remember the year. How much should I seriously expect to pay this type of rifle (assuming that they still have it)? If I could talk them down to say, $100, would that be resonable?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I probably would have bought that for 150, but that's just me (i've been looking for an m38). That is, if the scope was attached to the rifle by use of a replacement rear-sight mount, which can be taken out and doesnt modify the rifle in any permanent state.

Things to check are if they have the original rear sight with it, and if the scope on it is a long eye-relief scope. Also check the stock, is it an m38 stock or an m44 stock? Other than that if you can talk him down to $100 that'd be a good price for an m38.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Unless you think it's a deal or you have some other attraction to it, I would just let it go.
Could be miss ID'd by the store and not be a true M-38. Also the fact that good ole Bubba has already tinkered with it.
Hmmmm? it's been a few weeks since you last saw it? There is also that chance that it might have already been purchased by Buford!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
A replacement rear sight leaf shouldn't be hard to find, and if it's a refurb rifle finding a matching color wouldn't be hard. It's worth another look, it might be a rare variant. So, assuming the rifle has not been otherwise altered it could easily be restored.
If it has a good LER scope, that scope and mount combo might be worth a bit of cash on the trader. That taken into account, you might be able to get the rifle very cheaply.

·
Copper Bullet member
947 Posts
LER scope and mount + rings lowest =50$
M38 Probably (if decent condition =100$
Rear sight replacement 10$-?

Just ballpark figuring

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Find out the model, year, maker, 38 stock or 44 stock, any unusual markings, what parts are missing, what matches, exact modifications (drilling, etc), if it is a refurb or not, overall condition, which importer mark. With that info we can figure out if it is worth messing with, or not.
Really, if there is anything 'wrong' at all, it is not worth a second thought at that price. That is assuming it is a run of the mill refurb m38. If the scope & mount are good ones that carry real used market value, that could help. if they are cheapo scope & mount, not worth the risk of adding value for them. I'd count on more like $25-$30 extra including shipping, if sight parts are missing. If it is SA marked, buy it now.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great tips, guys.
I went back today to check out the rifle again and sure enough they still had it. The salesperson knew nothing about Mosins and they had dropped the price on all their used rifles. It was now marked for $130. The tag identifying it as a M38 was gone and it was replaced with a newer tag that gave no information. I checked the date and it was 1946 with some serial numbers crossed out and renumbered. The barrel looked a bit long, almost as if the bayonet was removed. I passed, deciding to some more research.

According to 7.62x54r.net, 1945 was the last year of production for the M38, so it probably is an altered M44. The bore, as far as I could tell, looked dirty with what looked like pits. I am not experienced at all in that regard, so I may be wrong. It is an Izhevsk and the rear sight had been removed. Was I right in passing on it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.