Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up 140 rounds of old 7.62x54R ammo at a show, loose in a box. It looks like several different types, but for $15 it seemed like a good deal. I am curious as to where they came from, though. A lot of them are VPT 44, with some VPT 28, and some SAT 24 and 26.
I haven't seen this headstamp before, just curious.

Also, on a related note, I bought some FN 30-06 ammo dated 55 and 57. The guy said it was non-corrosive but couldn't guarantee it. I know US military ammo switched to non-corrosive in the early 50's, but I don't know about Belgium. I paid a price that would be fair for corrosive and I will assume it could be. Anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Finnish ammo. I've got a couple of 15 round boxes. I could never get a straight answer on whether it was good shooting ammo. At that price you did pretty well. Did you get any of it on clips?

·
Registered
532 Posts
A lot of this ammo was brought in many years ago, by the old Interarms IIRC. I have bought it in 20 rd boxes, made of plain cardboard and stamped something like "7.62 X 54R Russian" in red ink.

I have not shot any, but from what I have heard, the primers are pretty much dead. Probably worth more as a collectable than for shooting.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Fn 30-06

Test various years of FN 30-06 gives me the impression that they changed over to NONcorrosive primers in 1958. So your ammo would have corrosive primers...clean 'em or RUST 'em!

·
Copper Bullet member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all. Finnish is good, goes well with my old M28 (1897). If the primers are dead, it's easy to pull them apart and load the bullets and powder in new cases. None were in strippers, they were just mixed loose in a cardboard box.

Thanks ammolab for the info on the '06 ammo. I will treat it as corrosive. I suspected that when I bought it, that's why I talked him down to 21 cents a round. Too bad it didn't come on Garand clips instead of Mauser clips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts