Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love to hit the gunshows and hunt, last weekend I found a neat rifle. A fellow had built a inch pattern FAL trying to make it look like the American test T-48 rifle. Note the open top dust cover for use with magazine loaders. He did a pretty good job of it with minor mistakes. The carry handle should be wood and the trigger guard shape is not quite right. He mostly used a British kit and Brazilian Imbel receiver for the build. Along with the required number of US parts for 922r compliance.

A little background. In the 1950s with the creation of NATO several rifle designs were in contention. The British gave up on their bullpup EM2 rifle and .280 cartridge when they thought they had an agreement with the US to adopt the FAL rifle and the 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge. The big impediment it seems was Colonel Studler at Springfield Armory who did not want to see the US adopt a foreign designed rifle. He was pushing for the T-44 which would eventually reach adoption as the M-14 in 1957.

The EM2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EM-2_rifle

A real H&R T-48 here.
http://www.nramuseum.com/the-museum...-and-richardson-t48-selective-fire-rifle.aspx

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
You can keep the Para's I like the classic look of wood and steel also. A few years back DSA made a clone of the T48 (U.S) FAL never did get to see one in person so I don't know how accurate (as in looks) it was. Anyway good looking Rifle!

http://www.nramuseum.com/media/365306/Sep 04.pdf

In 2005 I almost ordered one of these but I went with the DSA G1 clone instead.
http://fnfal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139257

I have the one with the FN (HF) barrel.

The G1 is on top.

HDH.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've got an old 1980's copy of "Small Arms of the World" where they go into great detail of the T48 trials. The FAL stomped the M14 in the 1952 trial. We had to wait until 1957 for the M14 to catch up to the FAL in performance. Seems politics kept the FAL from being adopted.

The T48 clone looks like the big brother of one my Imbel L1A1s...

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
Seems politics kept the FAL from being adopted.
The politics were internal office politics. The "Not Invented Here" syndrome was alive and well at the time. Plus the FAL just didn't look like a real rifle to them, a problem they had later with the AR.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
The big impediment it seems was Colonel Studler at Springfield Armory who did not want to see the US adopt a foreign designed rifle.
It went deeper than that, he didn't want the intermediate cartridge either. If it wasn't for the good Col. Studler the FAL would have been what it was designed as, a Light Automatic Rifle, capable of bursts of full auto fire with control. Personally I'd love a lighter, shorter FAL firing a round similar to the German Kurtz round or the Soviet 7.62X39. Thanks to the impossible dream of a 7 1/2 pound selective fire 30-06 but smaller we have a Main Battle Rifle instead.

There's a sort of poetic justice that his Dream M-14/M-15 idea was replaced by the bean counters .223 so soon.:cheers:

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Its true.
There was a thread on FalFiles where a member who worked there got to go do a preservative CLA was allowed to take pics of himself with racks of T-48s.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I've got an old 1980's copy of "Small Arms of the World" where they go into great detail of the T48 trials. The FAL stomped the M14 in the 1952 trial. We had to wait until 1957 for the M14 to catch up to the FAL in performance. Seems politics kept the FAL from being adopted.

The T48 clone looks like the big brother of one my Imbel L1A1s...

Cool, I have a Imbel L1A1 my self.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The politics were internal office politics. The "Not Invented Here" syndrome was alive and well at the time. Plus the FAL just didn't look like a real rifle to them, a problem they had later with the AR.
The roots of the T-44 traced back to the initial call for a selective-fire magazine Garand near the end of WW2. They had been working on solving that problem for years, and likely did not want to see all their work wind up being for naught.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
And Just remember, If the US had not put its big feet into the development, we would all (British Commonwealth and USA) have had an FN-FAL in 7,9x33, as this was the original development of the FN FAL design in the Late 1940s: FUll-auto-select and 30 rd Mag as well. And a lot handier (shorter) than the 7,62 FAL as well.

Regards,
Doc AV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice. I love pretty much all FAL's, but especially the early Canada models and their derivitives. The DSA T48 clone was not very accurate, but had the basic "look" of the t48.

The early FAL versions, with the light weight front wood hand guards (no heat shielding) the open ear gas blocks and the lighter profile barrels are very well balanced and a joy to shoot.

I don't have a T48 clone, but I have an early Israeli and an working on an early BGS G1 type "A", a type "AF", and a type "B". Scrounging the correct parts is a challenge!

Im kinda a FAL addict...

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
The roots of the T-44 traced back to the initial call for a selective-fire magazine Garand near the end of WW2. They had been working on solving that problem for years, and likely did not want to see all their work wind up being for naught.
More like it was "Myway or the highway" syndrome. They actually lied like rugs & performed sabotage on the FN entry.

The T65 round was developed (big deal, they made minor mods to an existing savage round) but hid the fact & even left "wrong" brass to be found because the FAL's load had to match the T-65, but they hid what the T-65 was so it couldn't be evaluated. Then they messed with the FAL's gas against the manuals & advice of the tech staff on site so it would fail the cold weather tests.

You all deserve the 5.56mm M-16.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.