Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,398 Posts
It used to be a Polish WZ29 before the stock was cut and the German bolt was installed.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,398 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I measured the inside of the barrel at the exit with a dial caliper and I got a reading of 7.42mm. Is this close enough?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried the tip of a 308 and 30-06 and found that there was some wiggle room with each round.
I bought some cerro safe?, which I plan to use after I completed the cleaning process.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If original, or if rebarreled at some point by period military, it will be service 7.92x57 Infantry rimless. That was the standard Polish and German (and for that matter Czech and Iranian and so on!!) service round when it was made.

Best origin guess is, an arsenal somewhere in Europe converted it to a "sort of" K98k. Might've been the Germans, could've been the Czechs who exported a lot of "sanitized" rifles to the middle and near east for currency. Could've been the Turks or even some exporter.

If the barrel is in solid condition, it would not be a sin to "restore" it to some sort of facsimile of its Polish configuration, or as a German-style "Karabiner". That is, if the barrel hasn't been trimmed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank for the information, I appreciate your help.
I thought I was going to purchase the “Mauser military rifle markings” book,but at $160.00. I’ll have a to pass for now.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If original, or if rebarreled at some point by period military, it will be service 7.92x57 Infantry rimless. That was the standard Polish and German (and for that matter Czech and Iranian and so on!!) service round when it was made.

Best origin guess is, an arsenal somewhere in Europe converted it to a "sort of" K98k. Might've been the Germans, could've been the Czechs who exported a lot of "sanitized" rifles to the middle and near east for currency. Could've been the Turks or even some exporter.

If the barrel is in solid condition, it would not be a sin to "restore" it to some sort of facsimile of its Polish configuration, or as a German-style "Karabiner". That is, if the barrel hasn't been trimmed.

Most of the scrubbed receiver (or blank) Polish Mausers here in the US can be attributed to the Interarms imports from Spain. Lots of countries exported rifles there during the Spanish Civil War in the late 1930's. Interarms bought almost every surplus rifle in the Spanish inventory starting in the late 1950's. The stock looks like a typical USA sporter chop and the German K98k bolt could have been added by anyone in the last 60+ years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts