Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this would be a good place for this post. I own somewhere around 30 guns. I have read plenty of negative comments on the nagant which is one of my favorite guns. My favorite pistol though is my cimarron 45 peacemaker. and in rifle it would be one of my many k31's. I find it funny that i enjoy shooting older technology over more modern guns. the nagant over the glock. My k31 over a rem 700 custom. I put allot of bullets down range and i do find it funny and elusive at times as to what i will enjoy shooting. I find most modern revolver pistol grips and design somehow lacking. the old guns like the nagant and the peacemaker were designed for one hand shooting. The gun when gripped flows (don't know of a better word to describe it) to the target. Although the small grips of the nagant are a little weird for my big hands so i made a custom set of grips. The luger also fits in this good grip catagory imho. The feel of the gun has allot to do with how much anyone likes a gun and of course how well it shoots Anyone else with the "curio disease"?

Sure you can have my wallet but let me show you something first
Kuntzer

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm not a big revolver person "yet", but do like my Nagant. It's not a bad shooter, and the unique action appeals to my love of the odd.
Also have an old Webley .38 top break, also an odd ball, but that's half the fun.
As to pure fun to shoot. A handgun should fit your hand like an extension of your arm. My brother has shown me the blind target method. With gun in hand (unloaded of course) close your eyes and bring the gun up to aim on a target. Open your eyes, and if the sights are on target, the gun is a pretty good match for you.
The problem is that this is going to be different for each person, the whole "My gun is the best made" thing doesn't really hold water. The most fun shooter is the one that's best for you. For me that happens to be an Tanfoglio Witness Match 10MM, my wife and youngest daughter favor their Bersa Thunder .380s. Oldest daughter loves her Ruger revolver in .32 H&R Mag.
In rifles, probably the ability to consistently hit at mid to long range make for the most fun. I have an old Mosin that for some time has filled that role, cheap to shoot, accurate, although a newly purchased "Finn" looks like it may be a superior long range shooter. That and I think the longer barrel of the Finn seems to reduce kick a bit.
If fun in a rifle is ease of operation, the old Enifield takes the cake. 10 rounds instead of 5, and the action cycles smooth as butter.
Lets not forget shotguns. The noise and cloud of smoke from a Damascus barreled Parker double gun is not to be missed. On the other extreme of the shotgun world, a Saiga 12 with large capacity magazine can take an old pallet apart in a few seconds, that's a lot of fun to.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I enjoy shooting my M95 Nagant too, oneof my favorite handguns. So ugly it's cute, like some puppies. A dream to reload for, making it CHEAP to shoot. And it's a great conversation piece! Other shooters can't help themselves - gotta come over to check out the funky little "Roosky Revolver". :)

·
Copper Bullet member
543 Posts
I shoot nothing but curios, simply because my shooting is an extension of my interest in military history, a way to bring it alive for myself, and on that order the Nagant is as evocative a firearm as one could ask for.

In terms of balance, feel, and the whole concept of acting as an extension of my arm and hand, by far the finest in that category is the 1860 Colt Army. While this is my personal opinion, I recall a list made up some years ago where gun pundits were asked to rank the best balanced handguns throughout history, and the Colt Army was named #1. I know some who prefer the similar 1861 Navy, but most folks I know who've tried them agree that those last-generation open-top Colt percussion pistols are an unparalleled joy to shoot (though not to clean up after).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yup, there it is. Older guns just have an almost organic feel, becoming an extension of the shooter. My old Belgian double throws up to my shoulder and is spot on. Can't say the same for my new Mossy. Same thing with my Remmy cap & ball vs. the old lady's P-38 or my S&W.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My favorite gun to shoot is my Lee Enfield No1 Mk3. Second would be the Marlin 336. I am far more accurate with the 336. They both have historical interest for me. My Great grandfather was a cattle driver who preffered marlins to Winchesters. And the Lee is the gun that the Brits carries through WW2. In handguns I have a 1911 clone (SA GI) which feels as normal as a pen in my hand. But I also know everyone has their own gun fettish. My son craves a Mosin and I dont want another caliber in my basement... not that I wont give in but I will make him sweat it (and pay for it too.).

·
Registered
141 Posts
What makes something fun to shoot? I guess if it is running? lol...just kidding. For me it is the history, the mechanism (if it is unique and genius), I really love shooting all the WWII rifles I have...kind of a "who had the advantage" kind of thing...pity I have no garand...sigh...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like old quirky firearms, but I don't have a lot of money. Especially since I spent it on flintlock guns! The Nagant is certaily quirky, but it also fits my smaller hand comfortably. I don't care for autopistols and plastic black rifles. I stick with the level of technology I can understand.

Bruce

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
What makes something fun to shoot? I guess if it is running? lol...just kidding. For me it is the history, the mechanism (if it is unique and genius), I really love shooting all the WWII rifles I have...kind of a "who had the advantage" kind of thing...pity I have no garand...sigh...
Well ... I have a Garand (barrel 43, I think, too lazy to go and verify!). The barrel is somewhat pitted ... probably a conglomeration of different manufacturers ... but fun to shoot. The Mosin sniper (a real one from before the tumbling of THE wall) is a favorite too. In fact, I kept the guns I liked and shot straight (not all guns do this).
However the original question was: "What makes something fun to shoot?"
I took my pension for some years now and wondered why it is that I go to the shooting range less often as I used to. A personal conclusion is that it was "an escape from stress" ... there was nothing that could de-stress me more as going to the shooting range with a couple of shooting buddies. Away from "it" all, doing the things I liked. I was so fortunate to be married to a wife that understood (long before myself!!!) how "to keep the church in the middle of the village".
I can easily imagine that collecting stamps or coins or whatever can give the same peace of mind ... sometimes some of us need an "escape gate" ... mine was to go to the shooting range on a weekly basis and do my best (some days were not so brilliant!). Here is what I kept, because they shot better as I could do.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
52,907 Posts
Friends that shot together shoot more often.

Having good friends to go with you and share the experience is the key:thumbsup:
i've gotten older burried many a friend:( and go to the range less because its the comrade ship that supports the sport then very accurate guns to out shoot them with.:)<><dk

·
Registered
21 Posts
DK:
Take a kid shooting. They love it, and so will you!

So...what makes something fun to shoot? Any weapon with LOTS of ammo!
I enjoy shooting all my older weapons. The Nagant is not only a fun shooter but a good revolver to pack around. I've had mine for less than a year but shoot it frequently. Can't wait to start reloading for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.