Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I'm not big into Mosins- at the moment I've got a Finn owned (but largely unmodified) NEW, a PU sniper, an updated Dragoon, a SCW Dragoon, a refurbed 1940 Tula M38, and this rifle which I am wondering about. It appears to have an 1898 Izhevsk barrel in a NEW receiver with assorted minor pieces from many manufacturers. The stock is a rather attractive piece with very nice splice but must be refinished. In any case, whilst appearing to be a Finn built M1891, how can I know it wasn't assembled last year from spare parts? Are there any markings on the barrel shank that verify it to be an authentic Finn creation? I should note the bluing on barrel/ receiver match and it covers pitting on the barrel. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Ruprecht

Attachments

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Finn Capture M91. Looks like a weak Westinghouse E on the top of the tang the circular stamp covers partly. Also looks like the barrel was Austrian captured, there is part of a visible R and Z atop the shank. Neither are Russian alphabet letters. The Finns assembled it at some point for use probably against the Russians during the Winter or Continuation wars. The stock looks light, and like it may have been sanded. The cartouche in the next to last picture looks like it has been sanded over. It still looks decent, but I don't care for the lighter stock color. I do like the darker finish on them. As for being assembled yesterday, possible. But unlikely. You may be able to see any impressions in the stock that may match an area on the action somewhere. Often times, the tang date and arsenal stamp can be seen in the wood where it touches the stock. One way to tell they have been mated for a long time. The Finns would shim their stocks, so may be harder to see anything because of that. The Finns used whatever they had whenever they put stuff together, so it's certainly not uncommon to see different barrels and receivers that don't match. Still a good lookign rifle though.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Finn wartime put-together from several damaged rifles - a very nice piece showing their desperate need for rifles.

Don't refinish that Finn early round-end spliced stock, complete with Finn wire sling hangers and like-new black Finn escutcheons! The stock of several of my Finns looks like that - probably sanded by the Finns, but, if not, still OK.

You can't improve it by any changes or refinishing and it looks very good. (The splices show that to be an early stock, not a post-war replacement which have square-end splices.)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Beautiful Finn M91. Check under the barrel just ahead of the nosecap for the importer. I bought one several years ago from AIM that was in similar condition, albeit counterbored. You may want to check the muzzle on yours. Nothing wrong with counterboring from a shooter's perspective - quite the contrary - but they're not typically as desirable from a collector's perspective.

You may want to read up on the history of the Mosin in the hands of the Finns. They didn't produce Mosins, simply repaired, then later improved them. Finland was a Russian territory under the Tsar. When the Russian Revolution took place, there was a similar revolt in Finland, only the Whites won and Finland gained her independence. They promptly seized all arms in the state armories, then set about improving them. They also acquired Mosins from other countries that had captured them during WWI. The Finnish Mosins truly have a fascinating history that makes owning them, for me, a much richer experience.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. Some excellent info and I feel a lot better about owning this rifle. The bore is actually fair and I may just give her a try at the range for fun- it is shimmed, by the way. Any markings placed by the Finn arsenals that reveal the date of assembly, etc? On the lower barrel shank the numbers 7 53 571 appear to have been stamped post pitting. I'm sure glad I joined this forum- great knowledge here about Russian rifles.

Ruprecht

·
Registered
783 Posts
You might check the front side of the recoil lug- sometimes there is an assembly number there- it might match the number that is stamped beneath the woodline on yours. If it doesn't it really doesn't matter- your rifle looks great.
JMG

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks zeebill- I think the bore will clean up pretty good. The stock is truly beautiful. Ken in Iowa- yes I have a '40 tula M38. I'm pretty sure it's been refurbed but the bore is like a mirror with virtually as-new rifling. When I get a chance I'll post some photos.

Ruprecht

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.