Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what's going on with this Type 38? It has a Type 99 front band and it doesn't look like bubba. Receiver is marked as a Type 38 and everything about it points to it being a 38.

Wood Air gun Line Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It's definitely not. The stock is clearly a 38 with the drainage notch and the receiver says 三八式. Maybe a Type 99 forend was jammed into place?
It does look like a front band for a long 99.

Seems to me that when it comes to training rifles, who knows…a lot of things go out the window.

I’ve seen that display background many times on gunbroker…Maybe ask the seller to send better pictures?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It does look like a front band for a long 99.

Seems to me that when it comes to training rifles, who knows…a lot of things go out the window.

I’ve seen that display background many times on gunbroker…Maybe ask the seller to send better pictures?
It looks to me like someone put a trainer front band on an standard 38 rifle.

Speaking of that seller, in the past he's been a real hassle to answer straight forward questions. At least on a 38 short rifle he once had and an SLD Jinsen a year or so ago. He may've had other life things going on that made gunbroker a nuisance to him, but his responses either didn't come or they just didn't answer the questions.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Speaking of that seller, in the past he's been a real hassle to answer straight forward questions. At least on a 38 short rifle he once had and an SLD Jinsen a year or so ago. He may've had other life things going on that made gunbroker a nuisance to him, but his responses either didn't come or they just didn't answer the questions.

Must’ve annoyed you…we know how you like your Jinsen rifles! LOL!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Doesn't appear to be a trainer made from a Type 38. I went to the auction site; 'mum is not cancelled and their is no school mark. Seller has clear pictures of the front band. Who added it is anyone's guess, I lean to GI or "bubba."
Wood Shotgun Trigger Air gun Wood stain

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesn't appear to be a trainer made from a Type 38. I went to the auction site; 'mum is not cancelled and their is no school mark. Seller has clear pictures of the front band. Who added it is anyone's guess, I lean to GI or "bubba."
This is my assumption now too. The front band looks a little too rough of a fit with the wood for it to be anything factory. Didn’t realize a 99 front band could fit though, minus the wood.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would agree in that it is likely a trainer rifle assembled out of whatever was around at the time. Of course someone could have put it together using parts they found too. I don’t see any way to tell for sure one way or the other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts