Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this mauser at a flea market in Williamston, SC yesterday for $150. Something ironic about the rifle is that it was right next to a cage with puppies in them, which I got a bit of a chuckle out of. Back onto the point. I cannot figure out what this mauser is. The rifle matches except for the stock and bolt. It functions great, and the bore is in excellent shape, no pitting or nothing. So, what is this carbine supposed to be?

Sorry for the horrid pictures, I posted this from my iPhone since I'm out of town.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears to be a M1891 Argentine Carbine with a shortened stock. I'm sure it will make a nice hunting rifle now.
I was thinking someone turned it into a deer rifle. It ought to be a good tack diver.

·
Registered
169 Posts
With the location of the stock cut being forward of the lower barrel band, it should be possible to splice in a new fore-end section and conceal the joint under the band. A replacement barrel band, nose-cap, and saddle-ring bar (since yours looks to have been removed) and you've got yourself a working 1891 carbine.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,506 Posts
It would be an easy restoration - provided that you could find the stock or forend and hardware.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have one almost just like that. Mine is a cut down rifle, not a carbine, and I suspect yours is as well. In that case, there is no way to "restore" it. I don't have Webster's book with me right now, but is there a way to tell from the serial number what it started life as?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts