Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the blue tone in the pictures. I don't know what I did. But for now, at least everybody can see the markings. the side plate says something like experimental or what? the side plate number on the inside does not match the number on the frame. there are no proof marks on the right side. What you see is what I see. It is single action. So, help me out here. what is it? Is it collectible? is it unusual? is it??? whatever? all help appreciated.

· Silver Bullet Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for this most interesting information. And especially for sharing a picture of the optics factory made Nagant (1943). That is really interesting. Rare indeed! made in Leningrad in the middle of that horrible siege. Looks like an arsenal rework mark as well. I wonder what that means for this most interesting Nagant revolver.
I have been inspired to spend the last hour goggling Kharkov military district, which is in the northeastern part of Ukraine, currently on the edge of the simmering caldron of U.S. and Russian tensions.
Some research notes the formation of the Kharkov military district in 1919 and thereafter thru the great war.
So I guess it is safe to say this is an experimental gun made at Kharkov military district after 1919? And since it is single action does the fact of it being single action have something to do with what ever was being experimented? Any thoughts? Thanks again as this puts this gun in historical perspective which is one of my great interests.

· Silver Bullet Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again with this good advice. We will all wait for Joe to tell us the true meaning or intent of experimental in this situation. From what you have said it could just be a way to distinguish a put together from parts expedient nagant from the those made at the Tula arsenal. It has no arsenal proof marks on the frame. But until we get Joe's opinion I will not draw any conclusions.

· Silver Bullet Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe and others
thanks for the replies. here are some proper color balanced pictures. While I am not an expert on wood they look like all other Nagant wood grips which I assume is walnut.
The frame seems to be made somewhere, other than Tula, while the rest of the mixed parts are arsenal marked. The barrel is blue while some of the rest is either bare metal or other?
Joe, what did you think about SfcRet s observations?
Anyway, here are some better, I hope, pictures. I await your observations and thoughts.

· Silver Bullet Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joe
Again very interesting information. As you know, we both love investigating the history. Send me the pictures you need via my e mail so I can send them as attachments to a reply e mail. I think they would be easier to use that way. tell me what you want, how close up ( I will do my best) and if you prefer a certain color background, etc.. Email me at [email protected].
roger
P.S.
Since the replaced barrel is much later than the other parts I wonder if the experimentation had something to do with a special barrel. Silenced or ? Then somebody here put a barrel they could find to sell it several years ago. Anyway no way to know now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.