Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a gun and it has this hat looking mark on top of the reciever and on the barrell. I have looked in my Mauser book and cannot find the mark.
Here is a pic.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
The Arabic letter in the triangle is an Arabic sign for "Jim" or phonetic "J" also a Iraqi government property mark related to the Iraqi Army. Check the barrel in front of the receiver for East German proof marks such as "crown N" or "Crown U". I collect Iraqi marked weapons, and have found most Iraqi K98's also have these East German proofs. I'll post a example photo below. Nice rifle by the way!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I may buy the gun. I have only seen pictures of it and I am concerned that it has a strait bolt and they do not list the caliber. It is a big auction house. It is a leap of faith to buy the gun. Are the Iraq guns sought after? I was looking at it because I am a BSW and BCD fan.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,703 Posts
I've got a scrubbed, postwar Czech marked rifle with almost identical markings, the "jeem" is only partially struck. Interesting rifles, I wanted one because of the current US involvement in Iraq. All of the insurgent weapons now being discovered by US or UN forces are being destroyed, and no more are allowed to come back. The ones that are here now are all that there will be. If the price isn't too steep, I'd say go for it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
gt6guy, Yes these Iraqi K98's seem to be popular recently. With the straight bolt it's not matching or has been forced matched. As long as the price is right I would get it anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would say that the Iraqi rifles are desirable. I should have three of them now that the Nye Auction is done. I counted at least 6 Iraqi Mausers there on Auction. You only ever see one or two of them around and then bam!!! 6 or 7 of them in one auction. And the 6 or 7 are the ones I saw looking for Czech stuff. I saw the rifle Andy is asking about and one other German rifle, 5 Czech rifle and one with the full Iraqi crest and one with the full crest but was either a pole or a FN rifle. I'll be broke for a while but you just do not see the Iraqi rifles or at least didn't seem too often prior to this auction.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Love that top rifle in your post Bohemian, Thats the first real full Iraqi crested rifle i've seen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
there were two rifles with this crest in the auction. I was only intersted in the Czech made rifle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Iraqi Marked Enfield Question

Hi! I found this post while searching for info on the Iraqi property marking on my WWI Lithgow No.1 MkIII SMLE. This rifle spent some time in India in the 1920's and is also marked with the "jeem" inside the triangle on the receiver ring, the same mark as in the other photos in this thread.

My question- when did Iraq start using this property mark? It would be interesting to know how long a time this rifle might have been in Iraq. The rifle has no import marks and I don't have any idea how long it has been in the USA. I've only had it for a few days and I'm still a bit giddy about it- I bought it from Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms and it is, as usual from him, a very fine rifle.

Thanks Guys!

Geoffrey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts