Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this lately and have no idea what it is other than a machete and I`m not sure about that. The blade is 11" long with a overall length of 16". It is 2 3/4" at the widest. I cannot find any markings of any kind on either the knife or scabbard. Have tried to find out what it is on the internet with no luck. Probably just wasn`t in the right place. If any of you gents can help, I certainly would appreciate it. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
looks like a badly "bastardize" version of the kukri machete, I wouldn't discount that it might be homemade machete or locally produced one

·
Registered
130 Posts
I found this lately and have no idea what it is other than a machete and I`m not sure about that. The blade is 11" long with a overall length of 16". It is 2 3/4" at the widest. I cannot find any markings of any kind on either the knife or scabbard. Have tried to find out what it is on the internet with no luck. Probably just wasn`t in the right place. If any of you gents can help, I certainly would appreciate it. Thanks
Before you "kick your bolo to the curb", check out page 232 of "The Best of US military Knives,Bayonets & Machetes by Cole".
Cole has it pictured and described as Special Forces utilized in Vietnam, probably of foreign manufacture.
Hang on to it.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Looks like the ones that Conrad "Ben" Baker of the CISO (Counter Insurgency Support Office) located on Okinawa, got for issue to Special Forces units in Vietnam. Also came with a squared off tip, but I think the rounded tip was more common. Made in Japan. John

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Never saw or heard of one during SF training or my 16 months with CIDG in heavy growth along the border in 3 corps.
We never would have used them, either. All that noise...no way. We stayed off the few trails as much as possible and actually did a lot of hands and knees stuff. Still got scars from some of that stuff. We were always a foot or more taller and 50-100 lbs heavier than the strikers we went with. Went out a couple times with some conventional guys who were helping to beef up our area. No noise discipline if any kind. Very scary experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts